Rumors of Apple finally making the jump to a USB-C world for iPhones are gathering a pace, but while we’re heavily expecting the iPhone 15 to ditch Lightning, a new report suggests accessories will do the same.
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo took to Twitter to say that while iPhone 15 is the one that everyone is paying attention to, accessories like AirPods, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, and even input devices will all also make the move away from Lightning in the “foreseeable future.”
It’s unknown currently when that will actually be, but we can expect Apple to stagger the move.
Apple has long been on the receiving end of criticism for its refusal to use USB-C for its iPhone and incoming European legislation looks set to force it to do so sooner rather than later. Now it appears Apple is making moves to get ahead of that by planning for an iPhone 15 that will lose Lightning, removing it for the first time since it was introduced ten years ago. USB-C is already used on almost all iPads, however.
If Apple does switch everything to USB-C we can expect people to be split. Many have homes full of Lightning cables, but it’s previously been reported that Apple is also working on adapters that will make it easier for people to continue to use them when required.
1. Portless iPhone may cause more problems due to current limitations of wireless technologies & the immature MagSafe ecosystem.
2. Other Lightning port products (e.g., AirPods, Magic Keyboard/Trackpad/Mouse, MagSafe Battery) would also switch to USB-C in the foreseeable future. https://t.co/KD14TgBmtr
— 郭明錤 (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo) May 15, 2022
Kuo also weighed in on the possibility of a new portless iPhone coming soon, saying that slow MagSafe charging and AirDrop file transfers could make that problematic.
You may also like to check out:
- Download Windows 11 Pro ISO File Without Product Key From Microsoft
- Force Download Windows 11 Free Upgrade Right Now, Here’s How [Tutorial]
- How To Install Windows 11 On A Mac Using Boot Camp Today
- Download Windows 11 Installation Assistant For Your PC
- How To Upgrade To Windows 11 From Windows 10 For Free
- How To Create Bootable Windows 11 USB Flash Drive [Guide]
- Jailbreak iOS 15.4.1 On iPhone And iPad Status Update
- Download: iOS 15.4.1 IPSW Links, OTA Files Along With iPadOS 15.4.1 Released
- How To Install macOS 12 Monterey Hackintosh On PC [Guide]
- Best iPhone 13, 13 Pro Tempered Glass Screen Protectors Available Today [List]
- Best iPhone 13, Pro Max 20W USB-C Chargers [List]
- Top iPhone 13 Pro Max Screen Protectors Available To Buy [List]
- Best iPhone 13 / Pro Cases For Protection Available Right Now
- How To Fix Bad iOS 15 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.