Apple is now closer than ever to having the European Parliament force it to put USB-C ports on everything it sells, signaling the end for Lightning.
According to a new MacRumors report, members of the European Parliament voted this week with the overwhelming majority in support of legislation that would require that all devices include USB-C ports.
This would allow users to use the same cables and chargers across multiple devices — whether they are made by Apple, or not. However, devices like the Apple Watch wouldn’t be included because it’s too small to have a port affixed to it. Wireless charging will suffice.
The proposal, known as a directive, will force all consumer electronics manufacturers who sell devices in Europe to ensure that all new phones, tablets, laptops, digital cameras, headphones, headsets, handheld videogame consoles, and portable speakers feature a USB-C port, regardless of the manufacturer. Exemptions will only apply for devices that are too small to offer a USB-C port, such as smart watches, health trackers, and some sports equipment. This “common port” would be a world first and impact Apple in particular since it widely uses the Lightning connector instead of USB-C on many of its devices.
In a press release, MEPs noted that just two members of the 45-strong group voted against the requirement for USB-C ports.
It’s claimed that the move will reduce waste and improve sustainability, although Apple will no doubt argue that it will do the opposite — there are millions of Lightning cables in use right now that would eventually be useless as newer iPhones and iPads are released with USB-C ports.
You may also like to check out:
- Download Windows 11 Pro ISO File Without Product Key From Microsoft
- Force Download Windows 11 Free Upgrade Right Now, Here’s How [Tutorial]
- How To Install Windows 11 On A Mac Using Boot Camp Today
- Download Windows 11 Installation Assistant For Your PC
- How To Upgrade To Windows 11 From Windows 10 For Free
- How To Create Bootable Windows 11 USB Flash Drive [Guide]
- Jailbreak iOS 15.4.1 On iPhone And iPad Status Update
- Download: iOS 15.4.1 IPSW Links, OTA Files Along With iPadOS 15.4.1 Released
- How To Install macOS 12 Monterey Hackintosh On PC [Guide]
- Best iPhone 13, 13 Pro Tempered Glass Screen Protectors Available Today [List]
- Best iPhone 13, Pro Max 20W USB-C Chargers [List]
- Top iPhone 13 Pro Max Screen Protectors Available To Buy [List]
- Best iPhone 13 / Pro Cases For Protection Available Right Now
- How To Fix Bad iOS 15 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.