Finally the wait is over for Android fans! Android 2.2 Froyo has been officially unveiled at the Google I/O 2010 conference today. It has tons of new features and improvements over the previous Android 2.1 Éclair version. Here is a list of everything which is new to this release.
First up, Android 2.2 Froyo is a huge improvement over any of the previous Android releases. It is up to 2 – 5 times faster than Android 2.1 alone! Oh and the Google branded Nexus One users will be the first ones to get the update.
- USB and Wi-Fi Internet Tethering.
- 2 to 5 times better performance of Android on the same hardware!
- V8 Codec support, a new standard for online media by Google.
- New and improved browser, claimed to be the fastest browser yet on Android, let’s see if it beats Safari mobile on iPhone and Opera Mini as well.
- Compass support for Google Maps in the browser, no need to launch the Maps app anymore for compass support.
- Improved Google Voice Search, recognizes long and complicated sentences easily.
- Full Flash support in the web browser! What are you going to do about this one Apple?
- A widget that helps you search your Android device, apps for market and much more!
- Ability to search within app data.
- Improved crash reporting to developers, sends out vital details about the crash so it can be prevented or fixed in the future.
- Over the air application downloading via non-mobile store version from any PC on to your device.
- Streaming your non-DRM home music library straight onto your Android device, Apple needs to counter this one somehow with a service of their own!
- Purchase your music over the air from a non mobile destination right onto your device.
- Install apps on your SD-card, finally it’s here!
- One step to update all your apps, no need to update your apps one at a time.
- An improved Android market, buy your apps and games from the web Android Market and send them straight to your phone.
- Use voice gestures to trigger apps.
There hasn’t been any word about the release date for Android 2.2 OTA update. Stay tuned as we’ll let you know as soon as it is available for download.
You may also like to check out:
- HTC EVO 4G vs HTC HD2 vs Nexus One [Video]
- iPhone OS 4 vs Android 2.1 vs Windows Phone 7
- Need For Speed: Shift Coming to Android on June 4 with HTC EVO 4G
- Android Now Runs on an iPhone 3G Near You [Video]