Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers told Epic Games that its decision to bypass Apple’s in-app purchase system might have been something that some developers and gamers saw as a good move, but it was “still not honest”.
That came during yesterday’s hearing that saw both Apple and Epic claim the other was in the wrong when, realistically, they both might be.
Regardless of that, however, the judge told Epic that it wasn’t the good guy here, despite what those on the internet might think.
“You did something, you lied about it by omission, by not being forthcoming. That’s the security issue. That’s the security issue!” the judge told Epic, according to a CNN report. “There are a lot of people in the public who consider you guys heroes for what you guys did, but it’s still not honest.”
The hearing took place over Zoom and all stems from Epic’s decision to put its own payment system into Fortnite without after it had been through App Store review. Apple pulled the app from the App Store and, ultimately, removed Epic’s developer account. Whether Fortnite will be allowed into the App Store depends on whether Epic will remove its purchase system or not.
One suggestion that was put forward was one that would see all IAP money be put into Escrow while the legal battles continue. The money would then be divvied up once things have come to a head. The judge said that a jury trial will take place, but it wouldn’t be for almost a year.
Reading through the comments made during yesterday’s hearing, it’s clear that Epic isn’t doing well already. The judge says she is “not particularly persuaded” about a couple of things that have already been put forward.
Right now the only people who are really losing out are gamers. Fortnite hasn’t been updated on iPhone and iPad, preventing gamers from playing the most recent season at all.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 14.2 Beta 1 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File And iPadOS 14.2 Beta 1 Released
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- iOS / iPadOS 14 Final Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- Jailbreak iOS 14.0.1 Using Checkra1n 0.11.0, Here’s How-To [Guide]
- Download iOS 14.0.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.0.1
- Fix iOS 14 Update Requested Stuck Issue On iPhone And iPad, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 Estimating Time Remaining Stuck Issue, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 OTA Stuck On Preparing Update Issue, Here’s How
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.0.1 [Tutorial]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.