A slew of patents filed by Apple and published by the Japan Patent Office (JPO) on December 23, 2019, suggests that Cupertino-based Apple Inc. is working on an all-screen iPhone. Coming via LetsGoDigital, the patent could suggest that Apple is looking to move away from a notched iPhone design in favor of a device offering maximum screen real estate.
Apple broke the norm when it introduced the iPhone X back in 2017. Tim Cook’s company wanted to keep the device as small as possible but also give the end-user as much usable screen as possible to offer a larger interactable area. In order to keep the bezels to a minimum, Apple opted for a notched design at the top of the display in order to have a home for the TrueDepth camera system and other sensors. Other manufacturers quickly criticized the design decisions coming out of Cupertino and then quickly followed the pattern.
Notch-less iPhone 12 concept by Ben Geskin
Apple followed a similar design lanben geskin iPhone 12 guage with the iPhone XS and iPhone 11 ranges but this patent could give an indication that it is looking to move away from the infamous notch in favor of what is being called a truly all-screen design. The images associated with the patent publication show an iPhone without any sort of notch present. On the images, it is immediately evident that there are no visible camera elements, which suggests that Apple has either figured out a way to hide the cameras behind the main display or that the technology mentioned in the patents could make its way into an iPhone that doesn’t use technologies like Face ID.
The patent application and associated images are extremely interesting given the fact that we’ve already been privy to renders and information which purport to be of Apple’s next-generation iPhone and which suggest a notch-free design. If both are accurate, then we could see an iPhone in 2020 that has extremely thin, almost non-existent bezels around the display and which pushes the boundaries of precision engineering to house the forward-facing camera, Face ID system, and all other sensors, within that relatively tiny bezel.
As someone who is still running with the iPhone X, I for one would be first-in-line for a notch-free, all-screen 2020 iPhone.
(Source: LetsGoDigital [Google Translate])
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 13.3 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update And iPadOS 13.3 For Compatible Devices
- Download: iOS 13.3.1 Beta 1 OTA Profile, IPSW Links Released For iPhone And iPad
- Downgrade iOS 13.3 To iOS 13.2.3 For Checkra1n Jailbreak, Here’s How
- Jailbreak iOS 13.3 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How [Guide]
- Jailbreak iOS 13.3 / 13.3.1 On iPhone 11, 11 Pro Max, XS, More With New tfp0 Exploit Will Be Possibile Soon
- iOS 13 / 13.2.2 Jailbreak Tweaks Compatibility List For Checkra1n
- Gold iPhone 11 Pro Max: Case, Lightning Cable, Wireless Charger, Band, Speaker, More
- Red iPhone 11 Accessories: Case, Lightning Cable, Wireless Charger, Band, Speaker, Much More
- Yellow iPhone 11 Accessories: Case, Lightning Cable, Qi Wireless Charger, Band, Speaker, Much More
- Purple iPhone 11 Accessories: Case, Lightning Cable, Qi USB Charger, Band, Speaker, Much More
- Green iPhone 11 Accessories: Case, Lightning Cable, Qi USB Charger, Band, Speaker, Much More
- Midnight Green iPhone 11 Pro Max: Case, Lightning Cable, Wireless Charger, Band, Speaker, More
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak