The idea of putting a camera under an iPhone display would mean that Apple could do away with the notch completely, something it’s surely keen to do as soon as possible. We’ve seen companies try to put cameras inside displays before, with limited success.
Now, a new report notes that the technology needed to do it properly is closer than ever to being a reality.
According to Engadget, two companies are now saying they have improved on their previous attempts — Oppo and ZTE.
ZTE announced its new Azon 30 5G last week, a phone that is going to have another go at the whole camera display thing. Engadget notes that the test shots shown by the manufacturer look promising.
Despite much criticism of its first under-screen camera, ZTE worked what it claims to be an improved version into its new Axon 30 5G, which launched in China last week. Coincidentally, today Oppo unveiled its third-gen under-screen camera which, based on a sample shot it provided, appears to be surprisingly promising — no noticeable haziness nor glare.
In terms of Oppo, the company claims that it has made several improvements over previous attempts, particularly issues relating to the display quality as well as the quality of the shots a hidden camera can produce.
Breakthroughs include resolving issues such as inconsistent display quality in the screen area above the under-screen camera, poor image quality caused by obstruction of the camera by the screen, as well as issues with product reliability and lifespan. Thanks to advances in these areas, OPPO has been able to deliver an upgraded under-screen camera solution that takes end-to-end, full-screen experience to new levels.
However, ZTE and Oppo are unlikely to have the same standards and expectations as Apple — and the company won’t move to a notch-free iPhone until it’s sure it can do so without compromising on image clarity and quality. In short, it could be a while before we get an iPhone without a notch at all.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: Windows 11 Build 22000.100 ISO Beta Update Released
- How To Install Windows 11 On A Mac Using Boot Camp Today
- iOS 15 Beta Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- 150+ iOS 15 Hidden Features For iPhone And iPad [List]
- Download iOS 15 Beta 4 IPSW Links And Install On iPhone And iPad
- iOS 15 Beta 4 Profile File Download Without Developer Account, Here’s How
- How To Downgrade iOS 15 Beta To iOS 14.6 / 14.7 [Tutorial]
- How To Install macOS 12 Monterey Hackintosh On PC [Guide]
- iOS 15 Beta 5 Download Expected Release Date
- Download: iOS 14.7.1 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.7.1 Out Now
- Jailbreak iOS 14.7.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Guide]
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.7.1 And iPadOS 14.7.1 [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.