Ever since Apple released iOS 14 to developers on June 22 we’ve been hearing reports of a new feature that warns users whenever an app reads their clipboard. It makes sense in a ton of situations, but it turns out that there are some apps that are doing it with seemingly no reason at all, and TikTok is one of them.
Multiple people took to Twitter this week to share videos and screenshots of iOS 14 alerting them that TikTok read their clipboard, sometimes as often as every few keystrokes.
Why? TikTok told The Telegraph that it’s all about dealing with spam.
“Following the beta release of iOS 14 on June 22, users saw notifications while using a number of popular apps.
“For TikTok, this was triggered by a feature designed to identify repetitive, spammy behavior. We have already submitted an updated version of the app to the App Store removing the anti-spam feature to eliminate any potential confusion.
“TikTok is committed to protecting users’ privacy and being transparent about how our app works.”
An update has already been submitted to the App Store that prevents it from reading clipboards in this way. Interestingly however, TikTok hasn’t said whether the Android version of the app is doing the same thing. And if it does, will that also be getting an update to stop it?
Okay so TikTok is grabbing the contents of my clipboard every 1-3 keystrokes. iOS 14 is snitching on it with the new paste notification pic.twitter.com/OSXP43t5SZ
— Jeremy Burge (@jeremyburge) June 24, 2020
TikTok isn’t the only app caught doing this though. Several more apps, including those from huge companies like Starbucks, are doing something similar.
Apple will release a public iOS 14 beta next month with a final release available to everyone this fall. It’s safe to say we can expect much more noise to be made about this feature when everyone sees these alerts worldwide.
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 14 Beta 1 IPSW Links And Install On iPhone 11, Pro, XS Max, X, XR, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- iOS 14 Beta 1 Download IPSW Links, OTA Profile And iPadOS 14 Beta 1 For iPhone And iPad
- iOS 14 Beta 1 Profile File Download Without Dev Account, Here’s How
- iOS 14 Hidden Features On iPhone And iPad That You Don’t Know About [List]
- Download: iOS 13.6 Beta 2 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File, Beta 2 Of iPadOS 13.6 Released
- iOS 13.5.1 Downgrade No Longer Possible After Apple Stops Signing iOS 13.5 Jailbreak Firmware
- Jailbreak iOS 13.5.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How [Video Tutorial]
- Jailbreak iOS 13.5 On iPhone 11, Pro Max, SE, iPad Pro, More Using Unc0ver 5.0.0 [Tutorial]
- Download: iOS 13.5.1 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released For iPhone And iPad
- Jailbreak iOS 13.5 Without Or No Computer, Here’s How
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak