iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro / Pro Max drop test has put Apple’s “the toughest glass in any smartphone, front and back” claim to test. Here are the details.
When Apple announced its iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro it said that they both used the toughest glass ever found in a phone. And while that may be the case, everyone is still very much curious to see how that pans out in the real world. As always though, it didn’t take us long to find out.
The usual groups got their hands on iPhones and carried out drop tests to see how they fared. Both EverythingApplePro and Toms Hardware are two of note, if only because they managed to have completely different experiences.
While EverythingApplePro found that their iPhones were particularly difficult to damage, that wasn’t the case for Toms Hardware’s Mark Spoonauer. It took just one drop from 3.5ft for things to start breaking.
As I turned over the iPhone 11 Pro I saw large cracks in the upper left corner and a finer hairline crack running diagonally across the front of the 5.8-inch OLED display from the top left to the bottom right.
When you compare that with the experience of EverythingApplePro, things are particularly interesting. The YouTuber took an iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max and dropped them a number of times from head height. Both survived with the glass intact. It was only on the second drop from 10ft that things like the screen and rear panel started to crack.
If anything, all this really tells us is that the glass is strong, but no two falls are the same. You can drop an iPhone from a table and watch it explode. But you can also drop it out of a first-floor window and watch it bounce unharmed. You’re either lucky, or you aren’t.
The best way to keep your iPhone safe is to put it into a case. But if that’s not your jam, just enjoy your phone and try not to drop it. And maybe get AppleCare+, too.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 13 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For iPhone Released
- Best iPhone 11, 11 Pro Max Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- iPhone 11 / 11 Pro Max Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- iOS 13, iPadOS Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- Fix iOS 13 OTA Stuck On Preparing Update Issue, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 13 Update Requested Stuck Issue On iPhone And iPad, Here’s How
- 100+ iOS 13 Hidden Features For iPhone And iPad [Running List]
- How To Fix iOS 13 Problems, Crashing Apps Issue And Other Bugs
- Fix iOS 13 Estimating Time Remaining Stuck Issue, Here’s How
- Jailbreak iOS 13 / 13.1 Status Update [Continuously Updated With Latest Info]
- Download iOS 13 IPSW Links & Install On iPhone XS, Max, XR, X, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, SE, iPod [Tutorial]
- Fix iOS 13 Could Not Activate iPhone Activation Error After Update, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 13 No Service Issue After Upgrade, Here’s How
- iOS 13 Photos Camera Roll Missing?: Check “All Photos” Section