Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has announced that the company is no longer called Facebook at all. According to Zuckerberg, during the Connect event, the company will now be known as Meta.
The name change has been coming and was teased earlier this month, with The Verge saying that the name would represent the company’s focus on the metaverse.
According to The Verge, the Facebook founder says that the new name will reflect the company’s future, rather than its past.
“To reflect who we are and what we hope to build,” he added. He said the name Facebook doesn’t fully encompass everything the company does now, and is still closely linked to one product. “But over time, I hope we are seen as a metaverse company.”
The move is one that the company hopes will move it away from much of the negativity surrounding the Facebook brand and image, something that is very much up for debate. The change in name also means that Facebook/Meta will now focus on the metaverse first, rather than the social network the company became famous for.
Announcing @Meta — the Facebook company’s new name. Meta is helping to build the metaverse, a place where we’ll play and connect in 3D. Welcome to the next chapter of social connection. pic.twitter.com/ywSJPLsCoD
— Meta (@Meta) October 28, 2021
From now on, we will be metaverse-first, not Facebook-first. That means that over time you won’t need a Facebook account to use our other services. As our new brand starts showing up in our products, I hope people around the world come to know the Meta brand and the future we stand for.
Quite what all of this actually means for the day-to-day running and management of Meta remains to be seen, but if Zuckerberg was hoping that public scrutiny would go away as a result of the name change, he’s likely to be sorely mistaken.
You may also like to check out:
- Download Windows 11 Pro ISO File Without Product Key From Microsoft
- Force Download Windows 11 Free Upgrade Right Now, Here’s How [Tutorial]
- How To Install Windows 11 On A Mac Using Boot Camp Today
- Download Windows 11 Installation Assistant For Your PC
- How To Upgrade To Windows 11 From Windows 10 For Free
- How To Create Bootable Windows 11 USB Flash Drive [Guide]
- Download: iOS 15.0.2 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 15.0.2 Out Now
- Jailbreak iOS 15.0.2 On iPhone And iPad Status Update
- How To Install macOS 12 Monterey Hackintosh On PC [Guide]
- Best iPhone 13, 13 Pro Tempered Glass Screen Protectors Available Today [List]
- Best iPhone 13, Pro Max 20W USB-C Chargers [List]
- Top iPhone 13 Pro Max Screen Protectors Available To Buy [List]
- Best iPhone 13 / Pro Cases For Protection Available Right Now
- How To Fix Bad iOS 15 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.