A new patent granted to Apple suggests that the company is hard at work on a new type of foldable display that won’t crack like some other, existing technologies do.
The new patent is number 10,817,016 and carries the title “Hybrid coverlay/window structure for flexible display applications.”
According to a Patently Apple report, the new patent is for a layer that would protect the underlying display from cracking when the device is being folded and unfolded.
Apple’s granted patent is focused on correcting display cracking issues found in foldable devices today from Samsung and others which has definitely turned off consumers to the whole idea of foldable smartphones. Apple’s patent specifically relates to protective cover layer structures for smartphones, and more particularly for flexible displays that could fold while being crack resistant.
Apple’s patent would see its displays be less prone to micro cracks during use, something that has always been a concern for foldable devices. However, this wouldn’t make the device impervious to any form of cracking and it isn’t clear what the downsides of such an approach might be.
It is, as always, important to remember that not all of Apple’s patents turn into products that are sold in its stores. Apple applies for patents relating to pretty much everything it works on.
That being said, there’s little doubt that Apple is keen to come up with something that could work in the foldable world – whether that’s an iPhone that gets smaller or an iPad that could do double duty as a smartphone as well.
Apple won’t enter the foldable market until it’s ready – and it’s sure that its devices won’t suffer from any of the issues traditional foldable screens do.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 14.2 Beta 1 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File And iPadOS 14.2 Beta 1 Released
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- iPhone 12 / Pro Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 12, 12 Pro Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- iOS / iPadOS 14 Final Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- Jailbreak iOS 14.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Tutorial]
- Download iOS 14.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.1
- Fix iOS 14 Update Requested Stuck Issue On iPhone And iPad, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 Estimating Time Remaining Stuck Issue, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 OTA Stuck On Preparing Update Issue, Here’s How
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.1 [Tutorial]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.