Apple has agreed to pay up to $500 million to settle a class action lawsuit relating to its decision to throttle older iPhones.
Those affected by the issue will receive $25 apiece, according to Reuters and while Apple denies any wrongdoing as part of this agreement, the Cupertino firm is still going to be left substantially out of pocket
The whole debacle stems from Apple’s decision to slow the performance of older iPhones with poor batteries in an attempt to prevent them from shutting down due to a lack of power. But users say that by slowing down iPhones Apple was trying to make them upgrade sooner, making them think that they were coming to the end of their useful life.
Friday’s settlement covers U.S. owners of the iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7Plus or SE that ran the iOS 10.2.1 or later operating system. It also covers U.S. owners of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus that ran iOS 11.2 or later before Dec. 21, 2017.
Consumers contended that their phones’ performance suffered after they installed Apple software updates. They said this misled them into believing their phones were near the end of their lifecycles, requiring replacements or new batteries.
As a result of the throttling, Apple gave replacement batteries a huge discount. Anyone replacing their battery would see the performance of their iPhones improve.
Apple is yet to comment on the decision to pay up, although we’re sure it will end up being worth every penny to get yet another lawsuit off Apple’s books.
You may also like to check out:
- Run Multiple 2 WhatsApp Accounts Number On 1 iPhone The Right Way, Here’s How
- Download: iOS 13.4 Beta 3 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released
- Jailbreak iPhone 11 Pro Max With Unc0ver 4.0.0 On iOS 13.3 Now
- Checkra1n For Windows Alternative: How To Use Ra1nUSB For iOS 13.3 Jailbreak
- Jailbreak iOS 13.3.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How [Guide]
- Download: iOS 13.3.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update And iPadOS 13.3.1 Released For Compatible Devices
- Downgrade iOS 13.3.1 To iOS 13.3 For Checkra1n Jailbreak, Here’s How
- Jailbreak iOS 13.3 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How [Guide]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak