A new WiFi access point name has been discovered yet again, that is capable of disabling an iPhone’s WiFi system to the point of a full device restore being required to get things back up and running.
The access point name, discovered by security researcher Carl Schou, just requires the text “%secretclub%power” to be in it.
According to a series of tweets by Schou, their iPhone was not only prevented from connecting to any WiFi network after coming into contact with the rogue text string, but they weren’t able to get back up and running easily, either.
While similar issues like this are normally fixed by resetting a device’s network settings, that didn’t work here. In fact, the only way Schou was able to regain WiFi access on the impacted device was to fiddle with a plist file during the backup and restoration process.
While it isn’t clear exactly why this string of text is causing these issues but it’s similar to a report a couple of weeks ago that saw “%p%s%s%s%s%n” also knock out iPhones’ WiFi connections.
Seriously, I still don’t have WiFi pic.twitter.com/AaF9IQBvCp
— Carl Schou (@vm_call) July 4, 2021
Some users have reported that they are unable to replicate this behavior when using a device running iOS 15, suggesting Apple might have already fixed it. We won’t be running any tests to confirm, though, and we suggest you don’t either.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 14.2 Beta 1 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File And iPadOS 14.2 Beta 1 Released
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- iPhone 12 / Pro Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 12, 12 Pro Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- iOS / iPadOS 14 Final Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- Jailbreak iOS 14.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Tutorial]
- Download iOS 14.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.1
- Fix iOS 14 Update Requested Stuck Issue On iPhone And iPad, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 Estimating Time Remaining Stuck Issue, Here’s How
- Fix iOS 14 OTA Stuck On Preparing Update Issue, Here’s How
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.1 [Tutorial]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.