Apple’s 2018 iPhone lineup may all feature an almost bezel-free design without having to move to the OLED technology used in the iPhone X, according to reports coming out of Japan via the Wall Street Journal.
According to the publication, Apple is making a move to acquire technology that would allow for LCD screens to be used, even in iPhone devices that feature super thin bezels which previously required OLED screens in order to achieve that look.
The advanced displays, known as Full Active LCD screens, require smaller borders than the 1mm of today’s OLED offerings. By comparison, existing LCD iPhone displays need borders of several millimeters and importantly, cannot be curved.
Apple has expressed interest in buying advanced liquid-crystal displays from Japan Display for some iPhones next year, people knowledgeable about the matter said […]
People at companies that work with Japan Display said interest about Full Active LCDs has […] come from Apple.
The beauty of a display that can be curved is that it means connectors etc. can be hidden beneath the surface in a way similar to how Apple showed the iPhone X’s display on a slide during its announcement. This dramatically reduces the need for larger bezels, something the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus still retain despite the iPhone X’s new OLED configuration.
This new Vs old design element is a big source of differentiation between the two iPhone lines for 2017, but if this news is accurate then all iPhones could feature a bezel-free look come this time next year.
The iPhone X, which is the first iPhone to do away with large borders around its display, will go on sale November 3rd costing a wallet busting $999. Pre-orders begin October 27th, and demand is expected to very much outstrip supply.
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 11.1 Beta 1 OTA Via Configuration Profile File Without Developer Account
- iOS 11.1 Beta 1 Release Notes, Changelog And All Changes In One Place
- Download iOS 11.0.1 IPSW Links For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
- Download iOS 11.1 Beta 1 IPSW Links And OTA For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
- How To Downgrade iOS 11.0.1 / 11 To iOS 10.3.3 / iOS 10 [Tutorial]
- Download iOS 11, 11.0.1, 11.1 Links & Install On iPhone 8, 7 Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.0.1 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]