If you are a member of, or a keen watcher of, the jailbreak community, then the name Ian Beer will likely mean something to you. The Project Zero hero is back again, this time talking about and publishing what he is calling empty_list, a proof-of-concept exploit for yet another iOS 11.3.1 kernel bug.
Ian Beer has been an instrumental and highly influential figure in the jailbreak community recently. The Project Zero employee has never actually put together a jailbreak that is used to liberate Apple’s iOS-powered devices.
However, he has been the finder of kernel-level bugs and the creator of a number of exploit proofs-of-concept which show how those bugs can be used and exploited. One of those projects was utilized in the current Electra tool which liberates iOS devices running iOS 11.1.2. His work is also going to be embedded within the next-generation of Electra which will jailbreak iOS 11.3.1 on all devices.
CoolStar, the developer of Electra, had previously taken to Twitter to suggest that the first upgrade to the platform offering support for iOS 11.3.1 will come as a developer-only release as it will require an active and paid Apple Developer account to function, but that is luckily no more the case.
There was little to no additional information provided about that or the reasons why but it could be down to the limitations of the bug which was being used. This latest bug, however, could offer some light to that darkness. It is second exploit released by Ian Beer for iOS 11.3.1 and it’s the one that doesn’t require a special dev-only entitlement to trigger.
Given that it’s kernel-level exploit, that it offers compatibility with iOS 11.3.1, and that it’s now public, it’s very possible that this could be used in the Electra jailbreak now although we will have to wait for CoolStar on confirmation.
It would be great to have some light shed on the whole situation by the teams and individuals involved, but, for now, we will have to speculate as best we can about how CoolStar and all others involved will proceed.
(Source: Ian Beer [Twitter])
You may also like to check out:
- Jailbreak iOS 11.3.1: CoolStar Has Jailbroken The Firmware, Posted Screenshots, Provided More Details On Electra
- How To Buy iPhone X On iOS 11.3.1 For Jailbreak Purposes
- 100+ iOS 12 Hidden Features For iPhone And iPad [Running List]
- Download iOS 12 Beta OTA Configuration Profile File Without Developer Account
- Download iOS 12 Beta 1 IPSW Links & Install On iPhone X, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- iOS 12 Beta 1 Download IPSW Links, OTA Update For iPhone And iPad
- How To Downgrade iOS 12 Beta To iOS 11.4 [Tutorial]