Android 2.2 “Froyo” update has officially started rolling out for Samsung’s most successful Android handset to date – the Galaxy S GT-i9000.
Starting now, the update will hit Scandinavian countries first. Once Samsung are done with that, Froyo will be “gradually rolled out to other European markets, Southeast Asia, the Middle East Asia, North America,Africa and rest of the world.”
Froyo, coupled with the Galaxy S’ faster-than-Snapdragon Hummingbird processor and PowerVR SGX540 GPU, will make it the fastest Android-based smartphone available today. I’m still partial to the HTC Desire though, since.. well, it doesn’t look like the iPhone 3GS 😉
(image via zatznotfunny)
Android 2.2 for Galaxy S will include the following updates:
- Android 2.2 JIT compiler
- Adobe Flash Player 10.1 compatibility
- New Android Market with auto-updating
- Speed improvements
- Pinch-to-zoom homescreen flyover
- Improved default keyboard
- Quick links to "GPS" and "Auto rotation" toggles on notification bar added
- Slightly different graphics and transitions with app drawer and default icon dock
- Colored icons in settings
- GPS Fix
- Colored settings icons
- Media Hub
- Darker menu theme, navy blue color
- Better Exchange support
- Video records in MP4 format
- New Search widget
- New Gmail application
Samsung’s full press release is as follows:
Samsung GALAXY S Offers New Android 2.2 Upgrade
New platform upgrade provides enhanced experience on the go
SEOUL, Korea – October 18, 2010 – Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., a leading mobile phone provider, today announced the Android™ 2.2 (Froyo) upgrade to the Samsung GALAXY S, giving users access to new features, enhanced navigation applications and improved performance.
The Android 2.2 upgrade will be available via Kies, Samsung’s unique in-house software upgrade program. Kies can be downloaded at the Samsung mobile website (http://www.samsungmobile.com).
The GALAXY S is Samsung’s cleverly designed smartphone with a bright 4-inch SUPER AMOLED screen and a 1 GHz application processor, giving users an intelligent, immersive and integrated mobile experience. The Android 2.2 upgrade offers voice-controlled GPS through Google MapsTM with Navigation, faster performance by JIT(Just in Time) compiler. Additionally, further functionalities including Search in-browser, Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1, improved customization options will be provided with OS upgrade.
– Google MapsTM with Navigation: GPS navigation system with voice guidance
– Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1: Allow the web browser to make full use of the whole web
– Setup Wizard: Quickly customize the GALAXY S and access networks with ease
– Home Screen/Menu Preview and Edit : Preview by pinch-zoom
– Search in-Browser : Google™, Translate, Wikipedia, Dictionary
The Android 2.2 upgrade will be available from the mid of October 2010 in the Nordic region and gradually rolled out to other European markets, Southeast Asia, the Middle East Asia, North America, Africa and rest of the world.
[BriefMobile, Androidica via XDA Developers]
You may also like to check out:
- Download Android 2.2.1 for Nexus One and Update it Manually [How-to Guide]
- World Record for Fastest Texting on Samsung Galaxy S Gets Smashed by iPhone 4 User ! [Video]
- iPhone 4 Retina Display Trumps Galaxy S Super AMOLED Display in Smartphone Display Shoot-Out !
You can follow us on Twitter or join our Facebook fanpage to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google and Apple.