Apple’s CarKey feature is one that has been rumored on and off after references to it were spotted in an iOS 14 beta. Now it seems like we’re a step closer to it being added to iPhones after the NFC-based Digital Key Release 2.0 specification was finalized and made available.
Apple is one of the companies that now has access to that specification.
The specification allows a digital device like an iPhone to store a digital key and then use it to authenticate against a device like a car. It could also be used for things like house and office keys, too. The specification also allows for those keys to be shared when needed, too.
Similar to Apple Pay Express Transit, the new specification would allow for a Power Reserve Mode that would enable the digital keys to be used even when a device’s battery is completely flat. That ensures that nobody finds themselves locked out of their vehicle when their iPhone is flat.
References to CarKey have been spotted in previous iOS 14 builds picked up by 9to5Mac. With iOS 14 set to be announced during WWDC next month and then seeded to developers it’s likely we will start to learn more in the coming months.
(Image: Supposed leaked CarKey UI)
Whether we get Apple’s CarKey feature this year or not, it’s clear that Apple is working on it. And this new specification brings us a step closer to its release.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 13.5 Beta 3 IPSW Links, OTA Update Along With iPadOS 13.5 Beta 3 Released
- iPhone SE 2 2020 Screen Protector: Here Are The Best You Can Buy Today [List]
- iPhone SE 2 2020 Case: Here Are The Best Ones You Can Get Today [List]
- Kodi 18.6 IPA APK Download For iOS 13 / iPadOS 13, Android Released
- Run Multiple 2 WhatsApp Accounts Number On 1 iPhone The Right Way, Here’s How
- Download: iOS 13.4.1 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released Along With iPadOS 13.4.1 Released
- Jailbreak iPhone 11 Pro Max With Unc0ver 4.0.0 On iOS 13.3 Now
- Checkra1n For Windows Alternative: How To Use Ra1nUSB For iOS 13.3 Jailbreak
- Jailbreak iOS 13.4.1 / iPadOS 13.4.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How [Guide]
- Downgrade iOS 13.4.1 To iOS 13.3.1 For Checkra1n Jailbreak, Here’s How
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.