Casual gaming has taken off to be one of the biggest things that nobody thought would ever happen. Gone are the days where the only video game you could play had to be in front of a TV, connected to a system with zero portability. Mobile games are one of the driving forces for procrastination, but let’s face it, most mobile games suck for actual gaming. Touch-screen devices are perfect for one-touch controlled puzzlers such as Temple Run, or Angry Birds, but don’t perform as well when an analogue axis and buttons are slapped onto the screen.
Luckily, Apple’s iOS devices can be jailbroken. At least they can be on iOS 6.1.2 firmware. As such, a developer who has been having this problem as much as us has created a very nifty tweak which enables third-party controller use on iOS devices. We’ve put together a full video tutorial along with a step-by-step guide on this process below, so follow along with that to use your PS3 controller on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch!
The step-by-step process is as follows, with a video tutorial at the end of the post:
- You must have a jailbroken iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. If you are on iOS 6, follow our complete step by step video guide on how to jailbreak iOS 6 untethered using Evasi0n on Windows, Mac or Linux.
- A DualShock 3 Wireless Controller for PS3.
- You must also download the SixAxisPairTool for either Mac or Windows, you can download it from here.
- Install the ‘Blutrol’ jailbreak tweak from Cydia’s BigBoss repo.
On Your Windows PC / Mac:
- On your computer, open the SixAxisPairTool application.
- Connect both your iOS based device, and PS3 controller, via USB connections.
- Once detected by the software, you should be able to pair the two devices.
On Your iPhone / iPad / iPod touch:
- Open the Blutrol app on your home screen.
- Open up the ‘Controller’ section of the app.
- Select which controller you are pairing.
- Select ‘Connect’.
- Play around with this until you successfully connect the two, it took me a few tries.
- Take a screenshot of the game you want to play. Ensure it contains the controls on screen.
- Head back to Blutrol, and access the Games tab.
- Choose which game you want to play.
- Select the screenshot which you just took.
- Drag around the controls for your controller, onto those for the game you want to play.
- Select ‘Done’. That’s all! You can now use your controller to play the specific game, this will only need to be done once for each new game you want to play!
If you’re still having trouble going through the whole process, follow our video tutorial below:
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more videos.
Android users may want to check out: