Following on from its confirmation that it will be offering replacement batteries for some iPhones at a reduced price, Apple has now announced that it is doing exactly that with immediate effect.
Previously, Apple had said that the move would take place in January, but the company has taken the step of kicking the offer off straight away.
As of right now, anyone who requests a replacement battery – assuming theirs is sufficiently aged – for an iPhone 6 or newer device, will get one for the reduced price of $29. Previously, all battery replacements cost a standard $79. Apple says that it was simply able to get the wheels in motion quicker than it anticipated, and that is why the offer has started sooner than expected – albeit only by a couple of days.
We expected to need more time to be ready, but we are happy to offer our customers the lower pricing right away. Initial supplies of some replacement batteries may be limited.
The $50 discount comes following something of a furore relating to Apple’s power management systems and their decision to down-clock older iPhones when their batteries are unable to provide the required power to keep them running optimally. This results in a slower iPhone and has fed into the years-long claim by some that Apple slows old iPhones down in order to make people upgrade more quickly.
That is, of course, not the case, but with many reporting that Apple is slowing iPhones down and not explaining why, this has left Apple in a situation where it will no doubt continue to suffer damage to its reputation no matter what it does. The $50 discount will allow older iPhones to receive new batteries, however, allowing them to again be used to their computational maximum.
Anyone looking to swap their battery out should contact Apple either via phone or by making a Genius Bar appointment.
You may also like to check out:
- Set Custom Boot Logo On iOS 11 / 11.1.2 iPhone Without Jailbreak, Here’s How
- iOS 11.1.2 Jailbreak With Cydia, 64-Bit iOS 10.3.3 Jailbreak Update, More
- Download: LiberiOS 11.0.1 IPA For iOS 11.1.2 Jailbreak Released, Here’s What Is New
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.1.2 Using LiberiOS, Here’s How [Tutorial]
- Jailbreak iOS 11.2.1 / 11.2 / 11.2.5 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Jailbreak tvOS 11 / 11.1 On Apple TV 4 / 4K Using LiberTV 1.1
- Downgrade iOS 11 / 11.2.1 To 11.1.2 On iPhone Or iPad [How-To Guide]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.1.2 On iPhone X, 8, 7, iPad Using LiberiOS [Updated]