Apple has updated its TV app for both iOS and Apple TV, bringing streaming live news to the app for the first time.
This move is Apple making good on a previous promise to offer live streaming content via a number of network news outlets, directly into the app which may, in theory, allow users to take advantage of it when making the decision to “cut the cord”.
The new update does indeed bring streaming news from a number of sources including Bloomberg, CBS News, Cheddar, CNBC, CNN and Fox News, with anyone in possession of an iOS or tvOS device running software version 11 or older able to take advantage of the new offering.
The streaming news capabilities join the existing sports streaming offering that arrived as part of iOS 11.2 back in December, and rounds out the TV app’s capabilities into something much more useful. However, the app is still missing out on one big feature that Apple is surely acutely aware of – a deal with TV services to bring top drawer content to the app as part of a new subscription service.
Something Apple has been supposedly rumored to be working on for years, a streaming service that would bring TV content under one TV app-shaped roof could give the Apple TV a new string to its bow, if it ever comes to fruition.
In its current form, news can be found under the Watch Now section of the TV app and can be found below a special section created for the 2018 Winter Olympics, taking place in PyeongChang.
The updated TV app can be downloaded via the App Store on both the iPhone/iPad and the Apple TV.
You may also like to check out:
- iOS 12 Emojis: Check Out All Of 150+ New Characters Right Here
- iOS 11.3 Public Beta 2 Download / OTA Update Released
- Download: iOS 11.3 Beta 2 IPSW, OTA Released For Testing
- iOS 11.2.5 Jailbreak: Adam Donenfeld’s iOS 11.2.2 Vulnerability Could Result In A New Liberation Tool
- Download iOS 11.2.5 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For Your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
- Downgrade iOS 11.2.5 To iOS 11.2.2 For Potential Future Jailbreak, Here’s How
- Jailbreak iOS 11.2.5 / 11.2.2 / 11.2.1 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.1.2 On iPhone X, 8, 7, iPad Using LiberiOS [Updated]