Apple has reintroduced the classic startup chime with the release of macOS Big Sur beta 1. Apple originally removed the startup chime from the MacBook range back in 2016 and it has been missing-in-action ever since.
Much to the disappointment of users all over the world who loved the tone, Apple removed it from the 13-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models four years ago as it was deemed that the sound was no longer necessary due to the changes in how those models booted up.
Those who were familiar with hacking via the Terminal app could re-enable and disable the tone by using a very specific command but it was generally classed as a chore and definitely wasn’t something that everyone felt comfortable doing.
Thankfully, Apple has decided to reintroduce the startup chime with the initial release of macOS Big Sur that was initially introduced to the world earlier this week at the revamped WWDC 2020.
Multiple people have taken to Twitter and other social networks to confirm that the sound is back in action when their Mac boots up after installing the initial developer preview of Big Sur.
The startup chime in macOS Big Sur. pic.twitter.com/rRSN4MrIBp
— Juli Clover (@julipuli) June 23, 2020
Once macOS Big Sur is installed, the reintroduced startup chime should be enabled by default without any necessary user interaction. The option to turn the chime on and off is accessible through the settings within Big Sur by going to System Preferences > Sound and turning the Play sound on startup on or off depending on your preference.
It’s very likely that as people interact more and more with macOS Big Sur they will find a lot more changes that were announced during the WWDC 2020 presentation. It’s also very possible that Apple could play with people’s emotions and actually remove the reintroduced startup chime before Big Sur goes into production and gets into the hands of Mac owners. We’re sure that won’t happen but as this is an early beta there is a possibility that it could happen as Apple pushes out more beta previews.
What’s your take on the reintroduction of the startup chime? Will you be looking to get your hands on it and put the newly introduced audio through its paces?
If you want to try out the the first beta of Big Sure, head over here to get started: Download macOS 11.0 Big Sur Beta 1 For Your Compatible Mac Right Now
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 14 Beta 1 IPSW Links And Install On iPhone 11, Pro, XS Max, X, XR, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- iOS 14 Beta 1 Download IPSW Links, OTA Profile And iPadOS 14 Beta 1 For iPhone And iPad
- iOS 14 Beta 1 Profile File Download Without Dev Account, Here’s How
- iOS 14 Hidden Features On iPhone And iPad That You Don’t Know About [List]
- Download: iOS 13.6 Beta 2 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File, Beta 2 Of iPadOS 13.6 Released
- iOS 13.5.1 Downgrade No Longer Possible After Apple Stops Signing iOS 13.5 Jailbreak Firmware
- Jailbreak iOS 13.5.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How [Video Tutorial]
- Jailbreak iOS 13.5 On iPhone 11, Pro Max, SE, iPad Pro, More Using Unc0ver 5.0.0 [Tutorial]
- Download: iOS 13.5.1 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released For iPhone And iPad
- Jailbreak iOS 13.5 Without Or No Computer, Here’s How
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak