Apple has confirmed that iPhone 8 and iPhone X wireless charging works with third-party USB-C chargers with PD. Here are the details.
Apple’s iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, as well as the iPhone X when it goes on sale in November, support fast charging that is capable of juicing the phones to around 50% battery capacity in just 30 minutes.
Being able to top a smartphone’s battery up to half full in such a short space of time is a huge deal for those who cannot make it through a day on a single charge, and Apple has confirmed that the new phones can be charged in such a way by any first or third-party USB-C charger that supported the USB-PD (Power Delivery) standard so long as one of Apple’s official MFI-certified Lightning to USB-C cables is used.
Fast charging gives you a quick and convenient way to recharge your iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus. Your iPhone fast charges up to 50 percent in 30 minutes when you use an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable and one of these adapters:
– Apple 29W, 61W, or 87W USB-C Power Adapter
– A comparable third-party USB-C power adapter that supports USB Power Delivery (USB-PD)
While it was already known that Apple’s own USB-C chargers for MacBooks and iPads would quickly charge one of the new iPhones, it was not confirmed whether third-party solutions available can be used for it as well. Now, following Apple’s confirmation, users of the new smartphones can take advantage of the many – and usually much cheaper – alternatives offered by the likes of Anker.
Again, remember that one of Apple’s own $25 Lightning to USB C cables is required for this to work. There are currently no MFI alternatives, although this will likely change in the future. No Apple products ship with this cable in the box, so this will need to be picked up separately.
While the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus both support the fast charging feature, the iPhone X, which also supports same feature, will not arrive until November 3rd.
Apart from all this, Apple has also recently confirmed that fast wireless charging will be enabled on iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X in an upcoming software update.
If you are looking for a third-party USB-C charger with USB-PD support for fast charging, we will recommend the following Anker option alongside Apple’s Lightning to USB-C cable.
Buy: Anker PowerPort+ 5-Port 60W USB-PD Hub from Amazon: $49.99
Buy: Apple Lightning to USB-C cable from Amazon: $19.99
You may also like to check out:
- The Best iPhone 8 / iPhone X Wireless Chargers
- Download macOS 10.13 High Sierra Final For Your Mac Now
- How To Clean Install macOS High Sierra 10.13 On Mac [Tutorial]
- Make macOS High Sierra 10.13 Bootable USB Flash Drive Installer, Here’s How [Tutorial]
- How To Downgrade iOS 11 To iOS 10.3.3 / iOS 10 [Tutorial]
- Download iOS 11, 11.0.1 Links & Install On iPhone 8, 7 Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.0.1 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]