You can now download Kodi 17.2 update with fix for subtitle zip security flaw. Here are the details on the release.
Earlier today, we were, courtesy of the Check Point research team, made aware of a new exploit that could see media players being infected by way of subtitle ZIP files. The dedicated team behind popular media software Kodi were quick to assure its users that an imminent update would tackle said issue and sure enough, that update is now available for all to download.
Rolled out under version number 17.2, this new release features minor bug fixes along with countermeasures for the aforementioned security risk. There are no new features or major changes to the interface to speak of, but the security fix alone makes it an essential download, as reiterated in a post on the Kodi website.
In addition to encouraging users to update as soon as they can, primarily to avoid falling victim to the newfound vulnerability, the post confirms that previous versions of Kodi will not be receiving a security patch for the same.
The full changelog for the current release mentions quite a few general and platform-specific bug fixes to go along with the aforementioned.
- Fix selection after channelgroup switching in PVR guide window
- Fix handling of gaps that caused eradic [sic] behaviour in EPG grid
- Allow backing out of fullscreen pictures by mapping longpress guesture [sic]
- Quick fix for wake up command not being called in PVR power management
- Use alternative method to check if platform updates have been installed on Windows
- Set the minimum version in the code which is currently OSX 10.8
- Fix possible security flaw which could abused .zip files which try to traverse to a parent directory
- Use the correct ttc font from the video file for subtitles on Windows
- Detect and delete zero-byte database files which causes crashes
Kodi 17.2 update is currently being pushed to all channels, though if you’d rather not wait for it to come your way, you can download the latest version for your platform from the Kodi website’s download page over at kodi.tv/download. We highly recommend updating your device with Kodi installed as soon as possible.
You might also like to check out:
- Get Google Assistant On Mac With MacAssistant, Here’s How
- Download Betternet++ IPA On iOS 10 [No Jailbreak Required]
- Extra_Recipe+YaluX Beta 2 Jailbreak With Cydia, iPhone 7 Plus Support Coming
- Download: Extra_Recipe+YaluX Jailbreak For iOS 10.1.1 iPhone 7 Released, Here Are The Details
- Jailbreak iOS 10.3.2 / 10.3.1 / 10.3 / 10.2.1 For iPhone And iPad [Latest Status Update]
- Fix Kodi 17.1 Krypton Buffering Issue, Here’s How [2017 Edition]