A multitude of companies and online services have been publishing their “Best of 2015”. Flickr was amongst the first to get it out there by outlining the photographers with the most likes and faves during 2015, as well as outlining the most popular cameras. Google quickly joined the festivities with a curated list of the Google Play’s top apps and games. And now Apple, the one that we’ve all been waiting for, has chimed in with its own “Best of 2015” collection that outlines the best apps of the last twelve months across various categories.
Without further ado, let’s jump right in and break down the best apps across OS X, iOS, watchOS and tvOS, as outlined by the company that not only provides the hardware that these apps are ran on, but also the underlying software development kits and technologies that power the apps and make these experiences possible.
- App of the Year: Periscope
- Runners-Up in Apps: Enlight, Robinhood
- Game of the Year: Lara Croft GO
- Runners-Up in Games: Fallout Shelter, Mr Jump
- Most Innovative App: Workflow
- Most Innovative Game: Dark Echo
- Top Free App: Trivia Crack
- Top Paid App: Heads Up!
- Best App on iPhone 6s: Instagram
- Best Game on iPhone 6s: Warhammer 40,000: Freeblade
- App of the Year: The Robot Factory
- Runners-Up in Apps: HBO Now, Patterning
- Game of the Year: Prune
- Runners-Up in Games: Rayman Adventures, Implosion
- Most Innovative App: LiquidText PDF and Document Reader
- Top Free App: Crossy Road
- Top Paid App: Minecraft: Pocket Edition
- Best App on iPad Pro: uMake
- Best Game on iPad Pro: Zodiac: Orcanon Odyssey
Mac (OS X)
- App of the Year: Affinity Photo
- Runners-Up in Apps: PDF Expert
- Game of the Year: Pillars of Eternity
- Runners-Up in Games: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Apple TV (tvOS)
- App of the Year: HBO Now
- Game of the Year: Rayman Adventures
Apple Watch (watchOS)
- App of the Year: Dark Sky
- Game of the Year: Rules!
There are a few apps in there that we can say, are without a doubt worthy of being given an official Apple accolade and promoted as part of the run-up to the extremely busy festive season. As for the titles that seem less familiar to you, now is your chance to check out why Apple holds them in such high esteem.