Australia is again considering whether it should look more closely at Apple Pay and other similar digital wallets.
According to a new report by Reuters, Australians are concerned that the way digital wallets are classified could leave the country with little control over the payment infrastructure on which it relies.
Treasurer Josh Frydenberg says he will “carefully consider” whether tighter restrictions are needed. The issue is that Apple Pay and similar systems are not categorized as payment providers, something that means they fall outside of the traditional regulatory system — and that’s a concern.
Services such as Apple Pay, Google Pay and China’s WeChat Pay, which have grown rapidly in recent years, are not currently designated as payment systems, putting them outside the regulatory system.
As a result, Australia is considering listing Apple, Google, and other tech giants as payment providers, ensuring that they play by the same rules as others while also giving Australian authorities additional oversight.
With the use of systems like Apple Pay on the rise in Australia, it stands to reason that the country might want to look at its regulation once more. The Bank for International Settlements (BIS) released a report earlier this month that warned of the influence of companies like Apple, specifically in the world of payments.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: Windows 11 Build 22000.132 ISO Beta Released With A New Snipping Tool And More
- How To Install Windows 11 On A Mac Using Boot Camp Today
- iOS 15 Beta Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- 150+ iOS 15 Hidden Features For iPhone And iPad [List]
- Download iOS 15 Beta 6 IPSW Links And Install On iPhone And iPad
- iOS 15 Beta 6 Profile File Download Without Developer Account, Here’s How
- How To Downgrade iOS 15 Beta To iOS 14.6 / 14.7 [Tutorial]
- How To Install macOS 12 Monterey Hackintosh On PC [Guide]
- iOS 15 Beta 5 Download Expected Release Date
- Download: iOS 14.7.1 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.7.1 Out Now
- Jailbreak iOS 14.7.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Guide]
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.7.1 And iPadOS 14.7.1 [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.