A new Reuters report claims that Apple decided against adding end-to-end encryption to iCloud backups because the FBI said that it would get in the way of their investigations.
The report suggests that Apple was keen to add the additional layer of protection to its iCloud backup service but it decided to ditch the idea after the FBI noted that it would make it more difficult for it to gain access to data when needed.
The lack of end-to-end encryption means that iCloud backups cannot store things like passwords and personal data, something that means users need to enter all of your details again once you’ve restored from an iCloud backup.
Reuters cites an unnamed former Apple employee when it says that the FBI was the reason behind the decision, with them saying “legal killed it, for reasons you can imagine.” However, the report does also note that it wasn’t able to confirm whether this was the case. And that’s an important point to remember here.
There are plenty of other reasons for Apple not to offer the encryption method on its iCloud backups, too. The company may have concerns that users would lock themselves out of their data, something that is even more possible when you consider that the people using iCloud as a backup option are likely not particularly computer literate.
Apple may be of the belief that getting them to back their devices up at all is more important than adding an extra layer of protection. And, as a result, complexity.
You may also like to check out:
- Checkra1n For Windows Alternative: How To Use Ra1nUSB For iOS 13.3 Jailbreak
- Download: iOS 13.3 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update And iPadOS 13.3 For Compatible Devices
- Download: iOS 13.3.1 Beta 2 OTA Profile, IPSW Links Released, Here Are The Details
- Downgrade iOS 13.3 To iOS 13.2.3 For Checkra1n Jailbreak, Here’s How
- Jailbreak iOS 13.3 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How [Guide]
- Jailbreak iOS 13.3 / 13.3.1 On iPhone 11, 11 Pro Max, XS, More With New tfp0 Exploit Will Be Possible Soon
- iOS 13 / 13.2.2 Jailbreak Tweaks Compatibility List For Checkra1n
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak