Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is known for getting things pretty much spot on, and he’s today released a new report that says Apple will launch iPhones with Touch ID starting in 2021.
He even goes so far as to say that Apple will also release an iPhone with both Face ID and Touch ID built in.
In order to do that Kuo says that the Touch ID sensor will be placed beneath the iPhone’s display, just as a number of Android phone makers have been doing of late.
To make all of this possible Kuo says that Apple will spend the next 18 months resolving technical issues relating to the implementation. Apple has been rumored to have been working on this kind of release for the last two years but it has not been able to produce something that meets its exacting standards.
Apple has already filed patents relating to in-display fingerprint sensors and Kuo believes that Apple will seek to offer an iPhone that uses both Face ID and Touch ID rather than one of the other. However, Apple has so far been experiencing issues relating to power consumption and the physical size of the module that is needed in order to scan a fingerprint from beneath a display. Those issues are expected to be overcome, according to Kuo.
As part of that process Apple is likely to use one of Qualcomm’s ultra sonic fingerprint sensors which doesn’t require a user to place their finger in such a specific place on-screen.
Kuo also said that the Apple Watch will gain its own form of biometric security in the same report, with Touch ID likely to be the implementation rather than Face ID.
You may also like to check out:
- iOS 13 Beta 6 / Public Beta 5 Download Release Date: Here’s When To Expect
- iOS 13 Public Beta 4 Download Profile Released To Testers
- Download iOS 13 Beta 5 IPSW Links And OTA Update For Your iPhone Or iPad
- iOS 13 Beta 5 Profile File Download Without Developer Account, Here’s How
- Jailbreak iOS 12.2 Using Unc0ver 3.3.0 IPA
- Install WhatsApp Web On iPad Thanks To iOS 13 And iPadOS 13
- 100+ iOS 13 Hidden Features For iPhone And iPad [Running List]
- How To Downgrade iOS 13 / iPadOS 13 Beta To iOS 12.3.1 / 12.4
- iOS 13, iPadOS Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- Download iOS 13 Beta 1 IPSW Links & Install On iPhone XS Max, X, XR, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]