iOS 4 is the first firmware in which Apple has completely cut off the support for aging original iPhone EDGE and iPod touch first-generation. Their decision of course is justified because of the low RAM found in these first-gen devices which were released back in 2007. But all is not lost as the iPhone jailbreak community has now come up with a mod, which brings the complete look and feel of iOS 4 (formerly iPhone OS 4) for iPhone 2G. The mod is basically based on the iPhone OS 3.1.3, to replicate the experience of iOS 4 on iPhone 2G (EDGE).
This custom firmware includes everything from: the new 27 iOS 4 wallpapers, new semi transparent iPad like dock, backgrounds, all new icons from iOS 4, Voice Control, Tap to focus in camera app, and more. Full list of features are as follows.
- native MMS enabled
- native USB Tethering enabled
- native Bluetooth Tethering enabled
- native Battery Percentage enabled
- 3GS’s Tap To Focus enabled (fake)
- emojii enabled everywhere
- Voice Control Vocalia
- Voice Control Home Button Double Click
- fake Compass to fast-respring
- 4.0 System Version
- 27 Wallpapers from iOS4
- semi-trasparentdock form iOS4
- icons from iOS4
- reflective dock toggle
- springboard backgorund
- sms background
- no Winterboard or BossPaper
Here is a video of it in action.
Thanks to Ven000m for the hat tip via Twitter.
You may also like to check out:
- Unlocked iPhone 4 Available in UK, France and Canada
- How to Unlock iOS 4 with Ultrasn0w and Blacksn0w
- How to Jailbreak iOS 4.0 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G
- iPhone 4 Features, Price and Availability – Everything You Need to Know!