Mac users who upgrade to macOS 10.15 Catalina later this year won’t be able to use uTorrent, as has been confirmed by BitTorrent Inc. Instead, the company says that those with uTorrent installed will automatically be upgraded to the web-based client instead.
The move comes because macOS 10.15 Catalina will see Apple remove support for 32-bit apps. Despite the writing having been on the wall for 32-bit apps for some time, BitTorrent Inc seems to have decided not to put the work in on making a 64-bit Mac client, instead pushing users towards the web-based alternative.
While it’s not known just how popular the Mac version of uTorrent is, it likely never saw the same popularity as the Windows version for multiple reasons, not least of which was the fact that by the time a Mac version of the app was released, there were already well established competitors in the form of Transmission and Vuze.
Despite users having asked for an update that would support macOS 10.15 Catalina, those requests have fallen on deaf ears.
Therefore, in early September, we will automatically update µTorrent Classic for Mac to our newest torrent downloader and player, µTorrent Web for Mac. This is necessary to ensure that our torrent downloading software continues to work seamlessly with Catalina when millions of users update to the new version.
We will start updating users in early September. If you are using µTorrent Classic for Mac version 1.87 or earlier version, you will automatically get upgraded to µTorrent Web for Mac.
We don’t expect this to be the last death of an app as a result of macOS 10.15 Catalina.
You may also like to check out:
- iOS 13 Beta 6 / Public Beta 5 Download Release Date: Here’s When To Expect
- iOS 13 Public Beta 4 Download Profile Released To Testers
- Download iOS 13 Beta 5 IPSW Links And OTA Update For Your iPhone Or iPad
- iOS 13 Beta 5 Profile File Download Without Developer Account, Here’s How
- Jailbreak iOS 12.2 Using Unc0ver 3.3.0 IPA
- Install WhatsApp Web On iPad Thanks To iOS 13 And iPadOS 13
- 100+ iOS 13 Hidden Features For iPhone And iPad [Running List]
- How To Downgrade iOS 13 / iPadOS 13 Beta To iOS 12.3.1 / 12.4
- iOS 13, iPadOS Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- Download iOS 13 Beta 1 IPSW Links & Install On iPhone XS Max, X, XR, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.