When Apple announced iOS 11 during the opening keynote of WWDC 2017, one of the new things that were mentioned was the new ARKit framework. Apple’s new addition will allow developers to create games and applications that take advantage of the real world by overlaying things on top of it, creating some truly impressive effects and as a result, apps.
We have already seen some interesting uses for ARKit even in its infancy, but two developers may have already won the ARKit battle by releasing a video in which they demonstrate an augmented reality tape measure.
Now we know that might sound decidedly boring, so stick with us a minute because it is actually amazing. Simply by tapping on two points on-screen the developers are able to measure the distance between two points in the real world using just the stock iOS Camera app. In the video we see a real tape measure laid out on a table, with a virtual tape measure beside it. If accuracy was a concern, it really shouldn’t be now.
AR Measure turns your phone into a ruler you can use anytime, anywhere. Just point your phone and click a point to measure almost anything. The app uses the power of Augmented Reality to measure the distance between points in 3D space. So you can measure things like furniture, doors, plates, desks, carpets, paintings, chairs, etc.
While we expect that games and the demonstrations created by their developers will likely catch more eyeballs than this, it’s applications of the technology in the more mundane ways that have the potential to truly change the way we do things in the future. Being able to measure anything with your smartphone is something that you may only use a few times a year, but we suspect that when you do you will be blown away each and every time you do it.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 11 Beta 2 15A5304j Update 1 IPSW Links For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Released
- iOS 11 Beta 3 Download Release Date Prediction
- iOS 11, macOS 10.13, tvOS 11 Public Beta 1 Release Date Set For Later This Month
- How To Downgrade iOS 11 Beta To iOS 10.3.2 / 10.3.3 [Tutorial]
- Download iOS 11 Beta 2 & Install On iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Jailbreak iOS 10.3.2 / 10.3.1 / 10.3 / 10.2.1 For iPhone And iPad [Latest Status Update]