Signal is a new app available on Cydia for the iPhone 4, 3GS and 3G which displays all the information of cell towers around you on a map in great detail. It’s a nifty little utility which you might have always asked for but never got. The description of the app is as follows.
Signal is a utility created by iPhone Dev Team member planetbeing that displays information about the cell tower your iPhone is connected to as well as neighbouring cells. It detects and maps the location of all nearby cell towers so that the user can easily get a good idea of their cellular coverage or where to go to get the best cellphone reception. Combined with the free iPhone carrier unlock that planetbeing has helped create, a user can swap SIMs and determine which carrier is best for him or her based on cellular coverage. In addition the map, other useful technical data is displayed including RSCP (signal strength) in dBm and Ec/N0 (signal quality) to all neighbours, the PSC of the cells, as well as the frequency each cell is broadcasting in.
So the next time you’re in town, and you want to strip down the cell tower information, this app will be your best bet. It’s a must have if you want to hunt down good reception, or want to know any sort of information about the cell towers around you, to exactly know which tower you are connected to.
Here is a video demo of the app:
Oh and did I tell you that it is coded by none other than Planetbeing, the guy who was behind Android port for iPhone and the newly released unlock for iPhone 4. Paying $4.99 for this app will be a nice way to thank him for all the work he has done. [via The Readers Eye]
You may also like to check out:
- How to Jailbreak iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod touch 3G / 2G, and iPad 3.2.1 with JailbreakMe 2.0
- How to Unlock iOS 4.0.1 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G [Guide]
- How to Unlock iOS 4 with Ultrasn0w and Blacksn0w on 05.13.04 Baseband [Guide]
- How to Jailbreak and Unlock iOS 4.1 on iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G with Redsn0w [Downgrade]
- How to Jailbreak iOS 4.0 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G using Redsn0w, PwnageTool 4.0 (Windows)