Google’s upcoming Pixel 4 phone already has its first security issue, and it hasn’t even arrived yet. The phone was only announced yesterday but Google is already struggling with security after it was confirmed that the phone’s Face Unlock feature doesn’t need a person’s eyes to be open in order to work.
That then means that someone’s face can be used to unlock the Pixel 4, even if they’re asleep or in theory, deceased. Compare that with Apple’s Face ID, which requires a user’s eyes to be open and for their attention to be on the device in order for it to unlock.
Google has also confirmed to BBC that this is indeed how the Pixel 4 is supposed to work and that there is no option that would require the user’s eyes to be open in order for the unlocking mechanism to function.
Google has confirmed the Pixel 4 smartphone’s Face Unlock system can allow access to a person’s device even if they have their eyes closed.
Google also says that those concerned about security can enable Lockdown Mode, disabling biometric security checks. And that’s true, but it does defeat the point of having Face Unlock in the first place. The company does say that Face Unlock won’t be fooled by photos, and that it will “continue to improve Face Unlock over time.”
It’s possible a future software update will rectify what appears to be quite the oversight by Google. And the sooner the better – we’re not sure we’d trust Face Unlock without that update.
Proof, for those asking #madebygoogle #pixel4 pic.twitter.com/mBDJphVpfB
— Chris Fox (@thisisFoxx) October 15, 2019
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 13.2 Beta 3 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Released
- Jailbreak iOS 13.1.3 Update: Security Content Fixes, Patches Detailed By Apple
- Downgrade iOS 13.1.3 / iPadOS 13.1.3 To iOS 13.1.2, Here’s How
- Checkra1n iOS 13.1.2 Jailbreak Based On checkm8 Exploit ‘Announced’
- Download: iOS 13.1.3 / iPadOS 13.1.3 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released For iPhone And iPad
- Best iPhone 11, 11 Pro Max Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- iPhone 11 / 11 Pro Max Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Install WhatsApp Web On iPad Thanks To iOS 13 And iPadOS 13.1
- Jailbreak iOS 13 / 13.1 Status Update [Continuously Updated With Latest Info]
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.