Apple’s brand new beta release of macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 is live for developers, and it brings with it a warning that will make users aware of the fact they are running 32-bit applications on their computer, similar to the way iOS also reminded users of the same fact on iPhones and iPads before support for the 32-bit apps was dropped.
The move comes ahead of what is expected to be the culling of 32-bit app support on the Mac, although Apple has not offered a time frame for when this will happen. However, the smart money is on this happening within the next 24 months or so.
For now, only developers will see the alerts as macOS 10.13.4 will only be available to registered developers until later this Spring. However, at that point, users will also begin to receive the same warnings, informing them that their applications may not be as efficient as they could be, along with a message suggesting that the app’s developer needs to update it.
The apps that cause the warning to appear will continue to work, but we expect plenty of developers will face confused or angry support tickets on the back of the move.
Developers were warned that 64-bit apps would be a requirement as of January 1st 2018 via the developer portal back in December. All new apps pushed to the Mac App Store as of the beginning of the year are now required to be 64-bit in nature, something that will eventually allow Apple to remove support altogether.
However, with the Mac App Store not being the only source of apps on a Mac, it is possible that this situation will cause more issues in the long run when compared to similar actions taken by Apple with regard to iOS, the iPhone, and the iPad.
(Source: The Loop)
You may also like to check out:
- iOS 11.3 Beta 1 Release Notes, Changes, Features: Everything New In One Place
- Download iOS 11.3 Beta 1 OTA Via Configuration Profile File Without Developer Account
- iOS 11.2.5 Jailbreak Update: iOS 11.2.1 Kernel Exploit Which Might Lead To A Jailbreak Will Be Released
- Download iOS 11.3 Beta 1 IPSW Links, OTA Update Featuring New Animoji, iMessage Business, More
- Download iOS 11.2.5 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For Your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
- Downgrade iOS 11.2.5 To 11.1.2 For Jailbreak Purposes, Is It Possible?
- Jailbreak iOS 11.2.5 / 11.2.2 / 11.2.1 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.1.2 On iPhone X, 8, 7, iPad Using LiberiOS [Updated]
You can follow us on Twitter, add us to your circle on Google+ or like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple and the Web.