Kodi is a great piece of software for playing back media but it has long suffered from one damming problem. Through no fault of its own, the Kodi name has become synonymous with piracy thanks to the huge number of so-called “Kodi boxes” that are sold worldwide.
These boxes run Kodi at their core but also have numerous piracy-related add-ons installed that make them perfect for anyone wanting to watch copyrighted material without paying.
That has left Kodi with a problem, especially as it continues to try and re-brand itself as a legitimate media player for legitimate use. Starting last year, the Kodi team started making noises about adding DRM support in an attempt to bring big publishers on board, and now that’s starting to happen.
With Kodi 18 Leia Alpha 2, publishers can now develop official add-ons that give them the ability to play encrypted content, preventing that content from being pirated. Without the addition of DRM capabilities to Kodi, publishers would simply never jump on boad as confirmed by Martijn Kaijser, Project lead of the XBMC Foundation.
In the past, we have talked to publishers and in almost all cases the first question was if we supported DRM. If not, that was the end of the talk. Others did have interest if we were going to add it and would come back to us if we would.
This being said, there are no official add-ons from the likes of Netflix as yet although there are add-ons like Eurosport Player and YouTube plugin which take advantage of DRM in order to work. Whether the likes of Netflix, HBO and Amazon will see fit to launch their own Kodi add-ons remains to be seen, but the possibility is now at least there thanks to the addition of DRM support to Kodi as a whole.
You may also like to check out:
- Jailbreak iOS 11.3.1 Untethered With Electra Possibility
- Download iOS 12 Public Beta And Install The Right Way, Here’s How
- Download: iOS 12 Beta 2 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released
- 100+ iOS 12 Hidden Features For iPhone And iPad [Running List]
- Download iOS 12 Beta 2 Configuration Profile File Without Developer Account
- Download iOS 12 Beta 2 IPSW Links & Install On iPhone X, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- How To Downgrade iOS 12 Beta To iOS 11.4 [Tutorial]
You can follow us on Twitter, add us to your circle on Google+ or like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple and the Web.