When Apple announced iOS 13, it said that Dark Mode was finally coming to the iPhone, and sure enough, it did. While most people were just looking forward to it for making their apps look all stealthy, Dark Mode does actually help battery life, too.
We’ve long known that OLED screens can theoretically save battery usage when they display black images but now that iOS 13 is here we get to see just by how much. YouTuber PhoneBuff set out testing the theory, with an iPhone XS used as the guinea pig.
The test included the phone running iOS 13 in both light and dark mode with various apps being used as a way of draining battery. The results can be seen in the video but the short version is this – Dark Mode really does make your iPhone’s battery last longer. At least, if you have your screen’s brightness set up exactly like this test.
Based on the results here the iPhone in Dark Mode was left with around 30% of its battery remaining when the phone was dead after the same period of time when running in light mode. A 30% battery saving is quite impressive and we’d be interested in seeing similar tests with other OLED phones, too.
We’re still not really sure we’re sold on Dark Mode and if you’re using an iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max you’re not short on battery life anyway. But every extra little bit helps, right?
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 13.2 Beta 3 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Released
- Jailbreak iOS 13.1.3 Update: Security Content Fixes, Patches Detailed By Apple
- Downgrade iOS 13.1.3 / iPadOS 13.1.3 To iOS 13.1.2, Here’s How
- Checkra1n iOS 13.1.2 Jailbreak Based On checkm8 Exploit ‘Announced’
- Download: iOS 13.1.3 / iPadOS 13.1.3 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released For iPhone And iPad
- Best iPhone 11, 11 Pro Max Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- iPhone 11 / 11 Pro Max Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Install WhatsApp Web On iPad Thanks To iOS 13 And iPadOS 13.1
- Jailbreak iOS 13 / 13.1 Status Update [Continuously Updated With Latest Info]
- Pixel 4 Face Unlock Works Even With Eyes Closed, Google Confirms
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.