Apple has confirmed that iCloud folder sharing has been delayed. It’s no huge surprise given the fact that it wasn’t part of the recently released macOS 10.15 Catalina release, even though it should have been.
Apple has now updated its own website to say that the feature will come at some point in Spring 2020, giving us the usually vague launch window we’ve become accustomed to.
Considering Apple has been beta testing macOS 10.15 Catalina for months, it’s disappointing that it wasn’t able to get its ducks in a row before now. It’s also a feature that is a big deal for those who want to be able to use iCloud Drive in lieu of services like Dropbox.
iCloud folder sharing was originally available in earlier beta versions of iOS 13 and macOS 10.15 Catalina, but it was subsequently removed as the beta program progressed. However, Apple’s current iOS 13 features page suggests that the same feature will arrive on the platform “later this fall.” That opens the door to the possibility that we could see iCloud folder sharing come to iPhone and iPad before the Mac rather than simultaneously as was originally planned.
When it does put in an appearance, this is a feature that could be big news for Dropbox in particular. The company was once courted by then Apple CEO Steve Jobs, although no deal was done. Apple subsequently made its own move with iCloud Drive. Having folders that can sync would be the next step in that play.
You may also like to check out:
- macOS 10.15 Catalina Compatibility: Full List Of Compatible Macs
- Download: iOS 13.2 / iPadOS 13.2 Beta 1 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Released
- iOS 13.2 Beta 1 Profile File Download Without Developer Account, Here’s How
- Download: iOS 13.1.2 / iPadOS 13.1.2 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released For iPhone And iPad
- Downgrade iOS 13.1.2 / iPadOS 13.1.2 To iOS 13.1.1 / 13.1 / 13.0 / 12.1.4, Here’s How
- Best iPhone 11, 11 Pro Max Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- iPhone 11 / 11 Pro Max Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Install WhatsApp Web On iPad Thanks To iOS 13 And iPadOS 13.1
- Jailbreak iOS 13 / 13.1 Status Update [Continuously Updated With Latest Info]
- iOS 13.1 Jailbreak Update: Security Content Fixes And Patches Detailed By Apple