If you think back a little while you might remember us sharing the news that one engineer had been able to take a Lightning connector and put it into a Samsung Android phone.
Why? Because they could. Now, that same engineer has shared details about how it all went down.
Engineer Ken Pillonel has shared a new YouTube video that explains what went into making an iPhone’s Lightning connector work on an Android device — specifically the Samsung A51. It took a lot of work, as Pillonel told Engadget recently.
The Lightning cables sold by Apple are not “dumb.” They will only charge Apple devices. So I had to find a way to trick the cable into thinking it was plugged into an Apple device. And the whole thing needs to fit inside the phone, which is another challenge in itself.
The result is a device that actually works, although the fit and finish aren’t perfect as you might imagine. Still, the fact that this works at all is a testament to the skill of the engineer themselves. You can check the video out to see why this was all so impressive.
Of course, this is the exact opposite of what people have been crying out for. While iPhones currently have Lightning ports, a vocal group of people would much prefer that Apple switched to USB-C, allowing people to use the same cables they likely already have. In reality, it seems more likely that Apple will ditch cables and connectors altogether and go all-in on MagSafe.
You may also like to check out:
- Download Windows 11 Pro ISO File Without Product Key From Microsoft
- Force Download Windows 11 Free Upgrade Right Now, Here’s How [Tutorial]
- How To Install Windows 11 On A Mac Using Boot Camp Today
- Download Windows 11 Installation Assistant For Your PC
- How To Upgrade To Windows 11 From Windows 10 For Free
- How To Create Bootable Windows 11 USB Flash Drive [Guide]
- Jailbreak iOS 15.4.1 On iPhone And iPad Status Update
- Download: iOS 15.4.1 IPSW Links, OTA Files Along With iPadOS 15.4.1 Released
- How To Install macOS 12 Monterey Hackintosh On PC [Guide]
- Best iPhone 13, 13 Pro Tempered Glass Screen Protectors Available Today [List]
- Best iPhone 13, Pro Max 20W USB-C Chargers [List]
- Top iPhone 13 Pro Max Screen Protectors Available To Buy [List]
- Best iPhone 13 / Pro Cases For Protection Available Right Now
- How To Fix Bad iOS 15 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.