Apple’s big media event will take place next week and there are rumored surprises in the form of Apple Tags. The Tile-like tags have been in and out of headlines in recent weeks and now Ming-Chi Kuo has weighed in.
In a research note that was obtained by MacRumors, Kuo explained that he expects the new tags to use ultra-widebaand, or UWB, technology. That’s the same technology that he has previously said he expects the new 2019 iPhones to have, too.
The benefits of UWB are particularly suited to something like Apple Tags – that’s what we’re going with until we’re told we are wrong. It’s a short range and low power technology that is best used for indoor positioning. It’s better than Bluetooth LE and WiFi in that regard, too. In fact, that might also mean that Apple Tags will be more accurate than the Tile competition when locating items.
UWB works by measuring how long it takes for a radio wave to move between two devices, according to a report by Electronic Design. It’s that method of locating tags that will make Apple Tags up to 100 times more accurate than anything using either Bluetooth LE or WiFi. Basically, Tile.
In practice, UWB signals are able to effectively measure distance between two devicesNo with 5- to 10-cm accuracy, compared to roughly 5-m accuracy for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. When implemented in a system of fixed beacons tracking tag locations, the locations can be calculated to within 10-cm accuracy.
Tile is already feeling the heat ahead of Apple’s Tuesday announcement. It’s been sending care packages to some pundits in the past few days, seemingly keen to remind everyone that it’s still around.
Apple’s event takes place on September 10th and will be streamed online for your viewing pleasure.
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 13.1 Beta 2 IPSW Link And OTA Update For iPhone, iPadOS 13.1 Beta 2 For iPad
- How To Jailbreak iOS 12.4 On iPhone X, XS Max, XR, iPad Pro And More Using Unc0ver
- Downgrade iOS 12.4.1 To 12.4 For Jailbreak While Apple Is Still Signing The Firmware
- How To Jailbreak iOS 12.4 Using Unc0ver 3.5.x [Tutorial]
- Download: iOS 12.4.1 IPSW Links, OTA Update For iPhone And iPad Released
- Best Galaxy Note 10 / 10+ Plus Case List: Here Are The Must-Haves For Protection
- Best Galaxy Note 10 / 10+ Plus Screen Protector? Here Are Our Picks [List]
- Jailbreak iOS 12.4.1 By Downgrading And Jailbreaking iOS 12.4, Here’s How
- Download iOS 13 Beta 1 IPSW Links & Install On iPhone XS Max, X, XR, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]