Apple has been using Samsung exclusively for supply of the OLED panels that go into the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, and it also used the company for the iPhone X, too. However, with iPhone sales being lower than expected in recent quarters, Apple now finds itself having ordered fewer panels than it signed up for. That leaves the company with millions of dollars in penalties to pay.
However, instead of handing over cash, Apple is said to be offering Samsung some other options including using the company for the production of OLED panels to be used in “tablets and notebooks” according to a new report by Korea’s ETNews.
That could potentially mean that a future MacBook Pro and iPad will come with an OLED screen in tow. That would also jive well with existing rumours of a new 16-inch MacBook Pro featuring an OLED screen, and the logical place for such a panel in an Apple tablet would be a future iPad Pro. That’s largely driven by the cost, with Apple unlikely to be able to put such high-end screens in lower-margin products.
This all tessellates with claims that supply chain wizard Ming-Chi Kuo has been saying for a while, with him believing the aforementioned 16-inch MacBook Pro will feature an “all-new design,” although he didn’t specifically mention OLED. He’s also claimed that two new iPad Pro models will arrive later this year or the first quarter of 2020 at the latest.
Apple’s suggestion of simply moving production to Samsung rather than paying penalties makes sense, and we’re sure Samsung would welcome the business, too.
(Source: ETNews [Google Translate])
You may also like to check out:
- iOS 13 Beta 3 Download Expected Release Date
- iOS 13 Public Beta Profile Download Release Date Now Said To Arrive This Month, Says Apple
- Download iOS 13 iPadOS Beta 2 OTA Profile Without UDID / Developer Account [Tutorial]
- 100+ iOS 13 Hidden Features For iPhone And iPad [Running List]
- How To Downgrade iOS 13 / iPadOS 13 Beta To iOS 12.3.1 / 12.4
- iOS 13 Public Beta 1 Download Release Date Announced Along With macOS 10.15, tvOS 13 Public Betas
- iOS 13, iPadOS Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- Download iOS 13 Beta 2 IPSW Links, OTA Update Including iPadOS 13 Beta 2
- Download iOS 13 Beta 1 IPSW Links & Install On iPhone XS Max, X, XR, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]