Apple has put the brakes on development of its electric car, according to a report by Bloomberg, with the team involved in the project now working towards making its self-driving autonomous car platform a reality.
All is not lost for the possibility that Apple will eventually launch its own car, according to reports, but with Apple’s executive having set a deadline of 2017 in order for the autonomous driving platform to prove its feasibility, it is all hands to the pumps for the team that is now headed up by Bob Mansfield following his return to Apple this past July.
Originally dubbed Project Titan, Apple’s plan to have an autonomous car ready for 2020 was always going to be ambitious, but that does sum Apple up when at its best. Now, though, it would appear that the company’s sights have been refocused on making the self-driving platform a reality, rather than building a car for it to live in.
This is not the first time we have heard murmurings of a change in direction within the Project Titan team. This past July, there were noises coming out of Cupertino that the project was starting to swerve away from the hardware involved in building a car and more towards the software that would be required in order to make the magic happen.
Bloomberg reports that difficulties in signing deals with those required in order to build a car led to Apple’s decision to move away from it, and given Apple’s inability to sign the deals required to truly make the Apple TV the home of streaming content, we are far from surprised that it couldn’t cajole automakers to do its bidding, either.
Apple is, predictably, saying nothing publicly, but with more information about Project Titan leaking all the time, we expect to get a clearer picture of just what the project will turn into long-term, soon enough.
You might also like to check out:
- Tim Cook Seemingly Confirms Apple Car, Suggests It’s Far From A Release
- Apple Car Concept Envisions Sleek Design And “OSCar” Software With Maps, Siri, More [Video]
- Video: ‘Father Of The iPod’ Discussed What An Apple Car Would Look Like With Steve Jobs
- Jailbreak iOS 10 / 10.1 / 10.0.2 / 10.0.3 For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch [Latest Status Update]
- Download iOS 10, 10.1, 10.0.2, 10.0.3 Links & Install On iPhone 7, 6s, 6, Plus, SE, 5s, 5c, 5, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- Download MovieBox On iOS 10 / 10.0.2 / 10.1 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, add us to your circle on Google+ or like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple and the web.