Yet Another iPhone 6 Plus Catches Fire While Charging, Sets Bed Ablaze
An iPhone 6 Plus owner from Atlanta has appeared in the news after he claimed that his smartphone caught fire while charging. The handset was on his bed at the time, setting it on fire as well. The phone was emitting sparks and flames according to the man, and while Apple has promised to send him a replacement handset free of charge, he says he feels disappointed in the way Apple has handled the situation.
The man, named in the press as David Grimsley, who is reported to have burnt his fingers as a result of the incident, says that he expected Apple to show more concern about what happened, rather than simply replacing the affected product. “I thought they’d be more concerned, or check to see if I got burned or anything was damaged,” Grimsley said, going on to state that he was “kind of nervous about plugging [the new iPhone] in and leaving it on the bed or anywhere it could catch fire. It could happen again.”
While it’s true that the new handset could indeed catch fire in the same manner as the old one, it’s highly unlikely. We have told you recently of other examples of Apple’s iPhones catching fire either when on charge or in someone’s pocket, but when you consider how many of these things are in circulation, a few catching fire may be unfortunate for those involved but it’s far from an epidemic.
Apple has historically blamed the use of non-Apple and non-MFi charging solutions as the reason for iPhones suffering catastrophic failures during the charging cycle, with the power regulation of third-party accessories presumably not quite up to the level of Apple’s own offerings. No matter which cables you use to get juice into your iPhone, though, we doubt many expect them to ever catch fire and start burning objects and people around them, Apple included.
FOX 5 too claim to have tried contacting Apple regarding the matter but have yet to receive a response.