Samsung and Korean provider SK Telecom have both announced that the world’s first 5G phone with a quantum random number generator (QRNG) will launch as soon as next week. On May 22, to be precise.
This probably isn’t going to mean a lot to the vast majority of people, but Samsung’s pretty proud of it.
The whole point of the QRNG chip is to improve security, taking things a step further than the secure element that is already used in Samsung’s Galaxy S20 lineup. And while the new Samsung Galaxy A Quantum is essentially a Galaxy A71 5G under the hood, the inclusion of quantum tech does make things a bit more interesting.
But what exactly does a QNRG chip actually do? In short, it generates random numbers in the name of increasing the security of a device. Forbes has more.
Random number generators are a vital part of many security solutions, but they often aren’t as random as you might expect. Indeed, “pseudo-random” number generators are not uncommon, but these are a weak spot cryptographically and, as such, are something of a honeypot for hackers. What the ID Quantique QRNG brings to the security party is not only a genuinely random number generator but one able to generate perfectly unpredictable randomness.
This will, in turn, allow for trusted authentication and encryption of important and sensitive data can be achieved. And that’s important at a time where we’re using our phones for more and more things. And, importantly, storing more and more vital and private information on them, too.
The new phone goes on sale in Korea on May 22 but there is no news on whether it might also make an appearance internationally. At this point it’s unlikely, but the same QNRG chip could well appear in more phones in the future.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 13.5 Beta 4 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released Along With iPadOS 13.5 Beta 4
- iPhone SE 2 2020 Screen Protector: Here Are The Best You Can Buy Today [List]
- iPhone SE 2 2020 Case: Here Are The Best Ones You Can Get Today [List]
- Kodi 18.6 IPA APK Download For iOS 13 / iPadOS 13, Android Released
- Run Multiple 2 WhatsApp Accounts Number On 1 iPhone The Right Way, Here’s How
- Download: iOS 13.4.1 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released Along With iPadOS 13.4.1 Released
- Jailbreak iPhone 11 Pro Max With Unc0ver 4.0.0 On iOS 13.3 Now
- Checkra1n For Windows Alternative: How To Use Ra1nUSB For iOS 13.3 Jailbreak
- Jailbreak iOS 13.4.1 / iPadOS 13.4.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How [Guide]
- Downgrade iOS 13.4.1 To iOS 13.3.1 For Checkra1n Jailbreak, Here’s How
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak