You may remember that the NYPD announced last year that it would be ditching its existing 36,000 strong fleet of Windows Phones and replacing them with Apple’s iPhone, and it would seem that the force is doing exactly that.
According to a report by the New York Daily News, the iPhone has been finding its way into the hands of officers since Christmas.
The report says that officers are being given the option of either an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus when handing in their existing Windows Phones, and amazingly the move costs absolutely nothing to the NYPD, with the upgrades being classed as exactly that by carrier AT&T which has the contract to provide cellular devices to the force.
Unsurprisingly, the move is going down well with the rank and file, with around 600 iPhones being handed out each day.
“I truly feel like it’s the ultimate tool to have as a patrol cop,” said Police Officer Christopher Clampitt. “We get to the location a lot quicker,” he said. “By the time the dispatcher puts out the job (on the radio) we’re already there.”
Before the move to iPhones, users were stuck with Nokia’s Lumia 830 and Lumia 640 XL, released in October 2014 and March 2015 respectively, both of which were running Windows Phone 8.1.
With new iPhones and iOS 11, officers now have much more modern phones and operating systems with which to go about their business. The move comes in the midst of a $160 million initiative to put a smartphone in the hand over every police office and a tablet in every patrol car – something that was first announced back in October 2014 and continues to this day.
(Source: New York Daily News)
You may also like to check out:
- Check iOS 11.3 Battery Health, Enable Or Disable CPU Throttling On iPhone, Here’s How
- Download: iOS 11.3 Beta 2 IPSW, OTA Released For Testing
- iOS 11.3 Beta 2 Release Notes, Changes, Features: Everything New In One Place
- iOS 11.2.5 Jailbreak: Adam Donenfeld’s iOS 11.2.2 Vulnerability Could Result In A New Liberation Tool
- Download iOS 11.2.5 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For Your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
- Downgrade iOS 11.2.5 To iOS 11.2.2 For Potential Future Jailbreak, Here’s How
- Jailbreak iOS 11.2.5 / 11.2.2 / 11.2.1 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.1.2 On iPhone X, 8, 7, iPad Using LiberiOS [Updated]
You can follow us on Twitter, add us to your circle on Google+ or like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple and the Web.