Man Dies While Charging His iPhone In Bath

If you ever wondered how much electricity it would take for someone to be electrocuted in a bath full of water, then it appears the answer is at least the amount of electricity provided by an iPhone charger.

This unfortunate fact was discovered when London resident Richard Bull was found dead in a bath full of water, with his iPhone on his chest.

When police arrived on the scene at Bull’s home they found an extension cord leading from a plug socket in the hallway, with the other end on the bathroom floor. An iPhone charger was plugged into that extension with the iPhone, and the other end of the charger found on the man’s chest.

“We found an iPhone plugged into the extension cable and then the charger element in the bath,” PC Craig Pattison told an inquiry which was held into Bull’s death.

The PC went on to say that “the extension cable was on the floor and it appeared as though he had his phone charger on his chest and the part between the phone charger and the cable had made contact with the water.”

The official report will say that Bull’s death was caused by accidental electrocution, but the coroner looking into the incident did appear concerned that people were unaware that using a charging smartphone while in the bath was perhaps not the best idea. There is a thought amongst some that phone chargers do not provide enough electricity for such a thing to happen and this is something the coroner believes is up to smartphone makers to rectify.

The coroner, Dr. Sean Cummings, told the inquiry that “they should attach warnings. I intend to write a report later to the makers of the phone.”

Apple is yet to comment on the unfortunate death of Mr. Bull, but our deepest condolences to his family in this difficult time.

(Source: Daily Mail)

You may also like to check out:

You can follow us on Twitter, add us to your circle on Google+ or like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple and the Web.