iPhone Explodes In Man’s Pocket Causing Third-Degree Burns [Video]

It’s been a little while since we heard of an iPhone setting fire to itself and causing untold havoc and destruction, so here we are. What a great way to get the weekend up and running!

You know what is awesome? The iPhone. You know what isn’t awesome? Having your leg set on fire by one.

But that’s exactly what happened to poor Erik Johnson. Speaking to ABC7, Johnson says that his iPhone 5c was safe and sound in his pocket until he bent over to pick up his keys. The next thing he knew he could hear a worrying sound coming from his trouser pocket before his iPhone set itself alight, burning his thigh to the point of needing to be hospitalized for ten days.

Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 6.37.15 pm

The report says that Apple is currently investigating what happened. Using cheap, non-Apple or non-MFI chargers is often blamed for iPhones catching light, but Johnson says that he only used the official charger that came with his iPhone. Then, he would say that, wouldn’t he?

Given the unfortunate Johnson’s explanation that everything started to get a bit too warm once he bent over, we can only hope that such an incident doesn’t take place in the future with anyone at all.

Thankfully, and no matter how bad the fire was for Johnson, iPhones or any smartphone for that matter catching fire is a rare occurrence. Given the millions upon millions of smartphones being sold each and every year, a handful meeting an unfortunate fire-based end isn’t too bad in the grand scheme of things.

(Source: ABC7)

You may also like to check out:

You can follow us on Twitter, add us to your circle on Google+ or like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple and the Web.