iPhone 4 Exploded In Someone’s Home And They Caught It On Camera

Phones catching fire is thankfully a relatively rare occurrence but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t happen at all. And it did in fact happen to one family who were using an old iPhone 4.

The story goes that Brian and Jennifer Leisgang of Ohio were charging an old iPhone 4 that their kids often used. The iPhone 4 then caught fire while charging, with the whole thing captured by a Nest camera. Thankfully, nobody was injured.

We were extremely lucky to avoid a house fire. Our kids were charging our old iPhone 4 with the apple charger last night and it exploded and caught on fire in our kitchen while we were sleeping.

Luckily we had just cleaned off the counter yesterday as it [usually] has lots of school books and papers in that area. There we’re small pieces of the phone and black soot all over the counter this morning.

The issue is clearly that the iPhone in question was more than a decade old and people shouldn’t worry too much about their iPhones exploding. However, there is precedent for new smartphones having similar issues — Samsung famously canceled the Galaxy Note 7 after it suffered from a string of high-profile explosions and fires. The phone was even banned from being taken on flights at one point.

As for Apple, it’s often said that people shouldn’t use cheap third-party chargers because of the risk of fire.

You may also like to check out:

You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.