When Apple ships iOS 12 to the public later this month, one of the new features that is sure to be popular among those who like to tweak things will be Siri Shortcuts.
A feature that will allow iOS to monitor what users do and then recommend shortcuts, often complicated ones with multiple steps, and thus saving them time, Siri Shortcuts was thought to be part of iOS 12 that would be available to anyone who can install the update. However, that now appears not to be the case with iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus users out of luck.
This news comes after a Redditor emailed SVP of Software Engineering at Apple, Craig Federighi, about the feature. The response was that the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are just not powerful enough to handle the AI smarts required to make Siri Shortcuts work. While the iPhone 5s was not mentioned, given the fact it too supports iOS 12 but is even older than the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, we expect that phone to also be out in the cold.
Siri Shortcuts are part of the new Shortcuts app that is based on the Workflow app that Apple bought last year. The Shortcuts app will not ship as part of iOS 12 itself but will rather be an app downloadable via the App Store and those testing the software during the iOS 12 beta program have had to download it via Testflight, just like third-party iOS apps and games.
Apple will launch iOS 12, and presumably Shortcuts, shortly before the 2018 iPhones go on sale, likely in the third week of September.
You may also like to check out:
- iPhone Xs / Xs Max 10W Fast Wireless Charger: Here Are The Best Ones
- iOS 12 GM Download And Release Date
- iOS 12 Jailbreak Security Exploit Discovered, Read And Write Privilege Achieved
- Download iOS 12 Beta 12 IPSW Links, OTA Update To Fix ‘A New iOS Update Is Now Available’ Error
- Jailbreak iOS 11.4.1 / iOS 12: Developer Teases Another Possible PoC
- Download iOS 11.4.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For iPhone And iPad
- Download iOS 12 Beta 12 Configuration Profile File Without Developer Account
- Download iOS 12 Beta 12 IPSW Links & Install On iPhone X, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]