This is the news that Apple definitely does not want to hear ahead of its September 12 event. Not long after @nullriver went public to suggest that iOS 12 could be harder to jailbreak, a group of security researchers has taken to Twitter to confirm that they have achieved kernel read/write access on iOS 12 beta 12.
A security researcher by the name of Simone Ferrini has taken to Twitter to confirm that he and his colleagues have managed to pwn iOS 12 beta 12, which is the latest beta release by Apple ahead of an upcoming Golden Master seed of iOS 12.
The tweet was qualified with the fact that the team has managed to achieve “Kernel Memory R/W” with the work that has been undertaken, meaning it’s important to keep in mind that this is not a full and final jailbreak for Apple’s iOS 12 platform. However, it is a very important component of what could potentially be a public jailbreak.
The tweet also tagged in two additional developers and security researchers as being part of the process, both of whom presumably work for the same – or are affiliated with – the same TRUEL IT company that is tagged in Ferrini’s Twitter biography. As is standard practice these days, there is also a video attached to the tweet that is designed to show off the work that has been undertaken and shows an iPhone connected to a terminal session and confirming that the team has achieved exactly what it is claiming.
As is always the case with this type of work and revelation, it’s worth taking it all with a pinch of salt until something definitive and useful to the community comes from it. Security researchers who are publicly affiliated with a company are more often than not performing the work and showing it off as part of a bigger picture.
This can sometimes be part of an official bug bounty program to earn the company money or to simply show off the capabilities of the individuals who work at the business. It’s rare that these bugs and vulnerabilities actually turn into a public jailbreak. At least by the hands of the individuals who found them.
If this turns into anything additional we will be sure to let you know with immediate effect.
— Simone Ferrini (@Simone_Ferrini) September 7, 2018
(Source: @Simone_Ferrini [Twitter])
You may also like to check out:
- iPhone Xs / Xs Max 10W Fast Wireless Charger: Here Are The Best Ones
- iOS 12 GM Download And Release Date
- iOS 12 Jailbreak Could Be More Difficult To Achieve Than Initially Expected
- Download iOS 12 Beta 12 IPSW Links, OTA Update To Fix ‘A New iOS Update Is Now Available’ Error
- Jailbreak iOS 11.4.1 / iOS 12: Developer Teases Another Possible PoC
- Download iOS 11.4.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For iPhone And iPad
- Download iOS 12 Beta 12 Configuration Profile File Without Developer Account
- Download iOS 12 Beta 12 IPSW Links & Install On iPhone X, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]