Apple’s iOS 11 may have its detractors with a perceived lack of software quality taking its toll, but that is absolutely not stopping people from using it according to new stats coming out of the App Store support page for developers.
According to the numbers a staggering 76% of iOS devices had iOS 11 installed on them as of April 22nd, up 11% on the figure that was in place on January 18th. This is compared to 4.6% user base of latest Android 8 Oreo version.
Going back to November 6th 2017, the number for iOS 11 was at just 52% making for quite the increase in installations in the past six months.
Moving down the software chain Apple confirmed that 19% of devices continue to run on iOS 10 while 5% struggle on with versions of iOS which predate that although that may be simply because they cannot be updated due to a lack of support.
While the numbers for iOS 11 are impressive, it should be noted that the rate of adoption is actually slower than that iOS 10 saw last time around. As of February 2017 iOS 10 was installed on almost 80% of iOS devices on the planet. It’s not clear why iOS 11 has seen a slower adoption, and while unlikely to be the reason it is impossible to ignore a number of high profile issues which have befallen iOS 11.
Those include bugs which impacted HomeKit as well as issues relating to both Spectre and Meltdown although neither of those were iOS 11’s fault. Still, iOS 11 will forever be associated with the battery situation which saw Apple slow older iPhones down when their batteries were incapable of providing enough power to keep them running.
Regardless of why the adoption rate is slower, Apple is expected to focus on bug fixes and performance improvements with iOS 12 – if indeed it is called iOS 12 and not iOS 11.5 as has been suggested – which could impair its own adoption later this year. We’ll have to wait and see what Apple unveils at WWDC 2018 on June 4th to really know what is going on there.
You may also like to check out:
- PUBG Mobile 0.6.1 APK Download For Android, iOS China Version Released
- iOS 11.3.1 Release Notes, Changes, Security Content: Here’s What Is New
- Fortnite 3.6 Update With Patch Notes Released: Here’s Everything That’s New
- iOS 11.3.1 Jailbreak Status: New Firmware Patches An Exploit By Ian Beer
- How To Downgrade iOS 11.3.1 On iPhone Or iPad [Tutorial]
- Jailbreak iOS 11.3 / 11.3.1 / 11.2.6 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Download iOS 11.3.1 IPSW Links, OTA Update With Fix For Third-Party Screen Repair Issue