Throughout last year, as it became more and more clear that Apple would be launching three, rather than the usual two iPhones, we pondered just what that third device may end up being called.
As it turned out, we got the iPhone X, which, while a great name for an iPhone, does leave Apple with something of a naming issue moving forward. What will replace the iPhone X? Surely not the iPhone X2. Maybe iPhone XI?
Now, according to research analyst and Guggenheim Managing Director Robert Cihra, Apple looks set to alter its naming convention for devices that will be launched later this year. If his report is correct, then the mid-range 6.1-inch iPhone with an LCD screen will simply be called the iPhone, making it the first iPhone since, well, the iPhone. We mean the one back in 2007, obviously. You get the idea.
The story also goes that the high-end iPhone, a replacement for the iPhone X, will retain that X moniker with the larger 6.5-inch variant simply being called the iPhone X Plus. That would leave a 2018 lineup of the iPhone, the iPhone X and, of course, the iPhone X Plus, which has to be a much clearer proposition for new buyers than the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X naming convention we had last year.
This theory will see the iPhone X as we know it being discontinued rather than moved down the pricing structure, with a new iPhone SE replacement expected to arrive in the coming weeks.
The wildcard here, however, is the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus combination. It’s possible the pair will live on with lower prices than they are available for today, although that does go against that simplified naming strategy we were just talking about.
All in all, we will know more as the year rumbles on. Everything makes plenty of sense to us, though – we’re just not sure about that iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus. Can you really sell an iPhone alongside an iPhone 8?
You may also like to check out:
- PUBG Mobile 0.6.1 APK Download For Android, iOS China Version Released
- iOS 11.3.1 Release Notes, Changes, Security Content: Here’s What Is New
- Fortnite 3.6 Update With Patch Notes Released: Here’s Everything That’s New
- iOS 11.3.1 Jailbreak Status: New Firmware Patches An Exploit By Ian Beer
- How To Downgrade iOS 11.3.1 On iPhone Or iPad [Tutorial]
- Jailbreak iOS 11.3 / 11.3.1 / 11.2.6 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Download iOS 11.3.1 IPSW Links, OTA Update With Fix For Third-Party Screen Repair Issue