At today’s Facebook Mobile Event, CEO Mark Zuckerberg has announced updates to their acclaimed iPhone and not-so acclaimed Android app.
[image via @kursed]
The Android application finally gets Facebook Groups and Places integration. Groups allows you to stay up to date with small groups of friends and share things within a private space. Places, on the other hand, is Facebook’s version of checking-in to places a la Foursquare and Gowalla. Both features, which were absent in Android, will be included in the app update.
Official update log:
New features include:
– Groups: share posts with small groups of friends
– Places: share where you are with friends, see where friends are, discover places nearby
– Improved notifications: view comments and updates within the app
I haven’t tested it myself yet, but @kursed on Twitter reports that Facebook for Android finally has the ability to open notifications from within the app! This was one of the bigger reasons why I simply didn’t care for the app in the days past. It felt more like a web wrapper than anything else. Not anymore! Yay!
The app is out now on Android Market, get it while it’s hot!
You may also like to check out:
- Facebook Founder Mark Zuckerberg Disses iPhone
- Facebook Comments Gets "Like" Button too!
- Facebook for Android Gets a Major Overhaul ! Zuckerberg’s Move to Android Might Have Something to do with that..
You can follow me on Twitter or join our Facebook fanpage to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google and Apple.